Sunday, 8 June 2014

7 Days As A Blogger

Hi...and welcome to another weekend bonus blog...I am on a roll!!  So I thought I would do a little blog post about my experiences this week as I launched this blog exactly seven days ago, and I feel in this very short space of time I have learned ALOT!  For anyone reading this who is very established at blogging, I hope my naivety and cluelessness makes you chuckle, and for anyone reading this who is thinking about blogging, I hope you will find my experience helpful and it will give you some tips for when you launch yours!!!


Without further ado, here's my 6 blogging lessons learnt in the last 7 days...(maybe 7 in 7 would have sounded better but I am keeping it real and these are my lessons!!)

1) Don't expect anyone to read your blog at first :-) This is what everyone says, I know, but, I think somewhere in the back of my head I was convinced I would have alot of readers on the first day.  Why the hell I thought this I do not know.  This led me to be feeling somewhat deflated on Sunday evening (12 hours after I had launched my blog) when I had only had a few page views.  I started to think that maybe this wasn't a good idea after all, and maybe my blog wasn't that good....yada yada yada....poor old me!!!! But then I took a reality check and remembered why I had started blogging in the first place.  This is about me expressing myself and writing about things I am passionate about, and me enjoying writing for the first time in a long time.  So I stopped my moping and I decided to continue to blog...readers or no readers.  Looking back now, that sounds a little drastic that I was going to quit before I had even started, but I think that reality check was what I needed to feel more determined to give this a go.  Lesson learnt...Be realistic with your blog and remember why you are doing it. 

2) Blogging is actually harder than it looks.  I am loving blogging, but I don't think I really understood how hard bloggers work to put their content out there.  There are lots of components to a blog, the writing, the pictures, the editing, the publishing and then pushing it out there.  Bloggers are a pretty talented bunch.  I am still learning but I am definitely taking tips from how the pros do it.  Lesson learnt...Be prepared to work hard!

3) There is a whole universe of blogging that I had no idea about!!! I have been reading blogs and watching YouTube vloggers for about 2 years now, but I was very much on the sidelines and didn't really comment or take part in any online discussions.  I have been missing out!!! As soon as I launched my blog, I registered with blogger, and I realised there is a whole community of bloggers and blog readers that I never even knew existed.  I never realised that to launch a blog, you really have to put yourself out there and be active with other peoples work and projects.  Lesson learnt...you have got to be active in the blogging community.  Appreciating other peoples blogs is nice for other people to hear and you can pick up alot!  (And be genuine too, don't go commenting on how someone grows their sprouts if you couldn't really give a monkeys!!)

4) You kinda need social media.  No, you NEED NEED social media!  I, for some reason, decided to set up a twitter on the same day as launching my blog.  Twitter kinda confuses me (I am sounding too old?!) so trying to figure out how to tweet people and get involved was a new concept to me.  This was probably a bit much as I was trying to figure out my blog too.  But its not just twitter, its Instagram, its commenting, its that 'being involved' again via other types of social media.  Lesson learnt...be better at tweeting!

5) Bloggers must have spouses/husbands/friends with the patience of saints.  How the hell do bloggers manage to get such gorgeous photos of their outfits of the day? My husband took a photo for me, with the top of my head cut off and then he was fed up about taking any more!!! My ideas of posing next to a tree with the sun setting behind me went out the window...husband wanted to get home cos he was hungry!!!!  Unless I carry a tripod round with me I think my husband is going to need to be seriously persuaded to keep taking snaps of me whilst I am twirling about in a new outfit on our road!  Lesson learnt...have snacks and treats ready to tempt husband to take one more photo so I look OK!

6) I am a rubbish model and my selfies aren't the best.  How do bloggers look so amazing in their selfie  photos??? I try to do natural poses and I look like I am deeply disturbed or unwell.  There must be a knack to posing for photos...Will let you know when I have figured it out!!!! But then I suppose that's me...my blog was never meant to look like the pages from a Vogue shoot and my face is kinda my face!! 
Lesson learnt...hmmm, this dilemma is ongoing.  Need to get better at selfies whilst also being more confident in just being me!!

In all seriousness, this has been such an exciting week for me, and I have felt really excited completely stepping out of my comfort zone.  And yes, it is really scary just putting yourself out there.  But am I going to quit now? NO! I have gotten over my preliminary self doubt and I am going to continue blogging, getting involved in the blogging community, trying to not look constipated on selfie/outfit of the day poses and I'm going to tweet to whoever cares to listen.  This is my blogging journey and I am excited as to where this will take me!

See you on Monday!

Laura x

8 comments:

  1. I love this post - it made me chuckle a lot! I am also at a loss about selfies. I always think that if this is what I really look like, I may as well just pack it all in and never leave the house!

    I look forward to reading more of your lovely blog and congratulations on week 1!

    Beccy ~ Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you!!! I know right, its like something mystical happens from you looking into the mirror and then when you look into the camera :-) Will let you know as soon as I know the insider secret to selfies!
    Thanks for reading
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely blog, your writing is very real and funny. I've not long been on Twitter and it took a bit of time to get my head round at first but it is so useful for promoting blog posts and chatting to other bloggers. I can't imagine anyone likes how they look in a selfie, but I'm sure everyone else will appreciate your beauty! x

    Sarah // A Sunday Smile

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments Sarah...and thank you for taking the time to read my blog! x

      Delete
  4. Love this! I also just started blogging and I have noticed a lot of the same things. It's so important to be social on other people's blogs. I have such an appreciation for the posts and photos and things that I see now, it really is much harder and time consuming that it looks! I get excited with just about any page views! I also recommend adding yourself on bloglovin' :)

    Lauren | http://www.livelovelauren.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lauren! And thank you for taking the time to post a comment...I appreciate it so much! I am newly set up on bloglovin...and I did a big woop woop cos two people were following me :-) Good luck with your blog too...will pop over there now to take a look!
      x

      Delete
  5. I've just started a blog as well and couldn't agree more! Don't even get me started on HTML codes :| it's an exciting project though and practise makes perfect (hopefully!) Good Luck :)

    Lauren | http://laurenmariesreveries.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren, it's so good to relate to other blog newbies :-)
      You are definitely one step ahead of me with your HTML codes...I don't even know what they do!!
      Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment on my blog. I really appreciate it.
      x

      Delete