Monday, 23 June 2014

A very special guest...

Today is a very special post for two reasons.  Firstly its my birthday! Woop woop!! I am not going to give my age away, but lets just say I am a step nearer to reaching my mid-thirties (gulp!).  I had a good think about what I should blog about today, and I kinda wanted something that went along with my birthday vibe whilst keeping in with it being a Mummy Monday.  Having a birthday is an important point you should know about me.  I am not one to shy away from it being my birthday.  I tend to drag it on for a good two weeks, though I recently saw that someone had coined the term 'birthday month'...so yep that will be happening next year!!  So anyway, enough about me.  I came up with having a very special guest on my blog...introducing my mum...June!!!!  


I asked my mum to make a guest appearance as after all, this time 30+ years ago, the woman was giving birth to little old me! As a side note you should know a few things about my mum. She is a very funny lady and to give you an example...you know at baby showers when you all bring a baby photo of yourself and then people have to guess who is who, well we were playing this game at my baby shower and my mum brought a photo as instructed.  After we had all finished guessing we found her giggling to herself.  She then informed everyone she couldn't actually find a baby photo of herself so she had just brought an old one she had found in an album but she wasn't quite sure who they actually were!!!!  

My mum is very wise too, and I don't always like to admit it but this lady comes out with some pearls of wisdom.  She is also the best person to shop with ever...you give her a brief and she will somehow find you the item at a discounted price, or even better, find you an even cheaper alternative.  She is the Harry Potter of mums!!!  So that's an incredibly brief introduction to June, my mum!  I asked my mum what advice she would give to any mums out there.  This is what she wrote for me, and I haven't edited it at all (apart from her spelling mistakes).   Hope you enjoy. 


I am the mother of two beautiful daughters, Laura and Rachel.  From the moment they were born, your instincts seem to take over and you want to protect them forever.  They are three years apart in ages, but I used to always dress them the same until they were about 8 years old. I can hear them cringing now! 

I used to be the mum that was always volunteered by my daughters to go into school to help out.  I would hear children read to me, go on trips to the swimming baths (even though I cant swim myself and I can barely stay afloat).  I once went down a coal pit with my daughters class with a hard hat on which did nothing for my permed hair (ha!).  I worked as a waitress in a pub, and when I read one of my daughters essays, she had written that her mum goes to the pub twice a week...hmmmmmm!

As a mum you take your children here, there and everywhere.  You are always at hand to help them when they need it, to sometimes nag at them, but you will always try to put them first.  

Bringing your baby home for the first time can be very exciting, challenging and very very frustrating.  At the time I probably did things wrong and may have not got it right first or second time.  But its a learning curve. Sleepless nights and night feeds and clock watching all become a thing of the past.  When my babies first smiled, took their first steps and had their first tooth, I will always remember those memories.  

Being a grandmother now I say to my daughter, we did it this way or that way, but it is always the parents that know best.  If I had to give advice, I would say,

1. Never be afraid to ask anybody for advice or help. 
2. Never feel as though you have to be the perfect mum.  If things don't go right, that is natural.  Just go with the flow. 
3. Don't worry about everyday chores.  They will always be there but the time with your baby is precious.
4. Everyone has bad days. Tomorrow is another day, and before you know it, your baby will become a little independent person. 

Being a grandmother now I say to my daughter that we did it this way or that way, but at the end of the day its the parents that know best.  A mum never judges her children but gives them all her love.  There is nothing bigger than a mothers heart. 

Thank you so much for reading today's special blog.  Wishing you all a very lovely and happy day. 

Laura and June
x





5 comments:

  1. Aww! That made me tear up, lovely words from your mum and so true, I was nervous about being a mum but your instincts just kick in. Thanks for sharing Laura and happy birthday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Steph! That's such a nice message...thank you x

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful post! Happy Birthday - I hope you have a wonderful day! x

    Beccy ~ Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
  3. check out my blog www.phaderewaw.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete