Wednesday, 25 June 2014

The Art of Nail Art or Not

Hi and thanks for stopping by! Today is my Whatever Wednesday and I thought I would blog about my recent ventures into nail art (!).  I think this has largely come about by me writing this new blog and my interest in what other bloggers are doing, instagramming and tweeting about.  I shall begin with my venture into nail caviar.

On a recent trip to Sainsburys, I saw that Marie Claire were giving away a Ciate nail caviar kit with their magazine...amazing I thought, and I popped into my trolley (I am a sucker for a magazine give away!).  I chose the shade Kiss Chase.  Now as I am very new to tweeting, I decided that I would tweet Marie Claire to inform them of my buy and that I was planning to do my nails.  Not 100% if this is done the thing, but they kindly re tweeted my tweet, which I was pretty excited about.  But, I then felt alot of pressure to actually bloody get caviaring and get the dam stuff on my nails. I mean I had tweeted Marie Claire, I couldn't possibly let them down (yup, this actually went through my mind).  

I then discovered that nail art ain't so easy when your two year old keeps running off with the bottles and then attempts to eat the actual caviar (N.B no caviar was ingested during the making of my nails).  After struggling with the stuff and waiting for it to dry for an hour...I had done...and actually I was pretty impressed with the results.  Ta-dah!


But wait, then came the realisation that caviar isn't exactly ideal if you have got to quickly clean the kitchen and then bath Baba.  I lost count of the amount of tiny balls that I found scattered around the house.  It looked like there had been an explosion of rainbow drop sweets! (If only!)

I did indeed tweet Marie Claire my finished picture, and they never re-tweeted it!  I immediately took this personally and decided it was because it didn't look good enough and they were distancing themsleves from me for fear I would put off the whole population of the UK in applying nail caviar. Ever. 

I must say, my sorry little fingernails looked awful the next day (which I didn't tweet about, I didn't want to rub it in Marie Claires face), half were caviared, half not.  So they actually lasted a total of 12 hours.  Having said all of this, I would recommend it if you have a special event to go to, and I think I would try just caviaring one nail like I have since seen some people doing instead of going for the whole ten.  Just do not under any circumstances expect the beads to stay insitu whilst you clean up!!!

Now you may think this would be enough to deter me from my escapades in nail art, but alas, I thought I would give something else a whirl after I had seen Lily Pebbles, over at Lilypebbles.co.uk, painting.  She had chosen two pastel shades and painted each nail in half and half.  The overall effect looked really pretty, and almost like sweet shop candy.  So off I went rummaging in my drawer for Rimmels 60 second polish in Mind the Gap Vistoria, and also in Rose Libertine.  In my head prior to painting I had high hopes for this. Hmmmmmmm...


The result I immediately thought, looked like I was supporting a football team for the world cup and this was re-iterated when my husband came home and asked why I was getting into the spirit of the World Cup so much!!! It took me bloody ages to do though, so I decided World Cup Football or not, these babies were staying on the whole weekend.  I did instagram a picture of my nails, and the first person to like the picture?  This is no lie, it was someone with the username 'Brasil World Cup 2014'.  I rest my case.

I am still on the look out for nail art that I can actually achieve and will keep you updated with all my attempts.  Even if my nails look a mess at least I have a funny blogpost to write about if I fail!

Thank you for reading.  See you Friday. 

Laura
x

10 comments:

  1. Love the two tone nails! I have always been curious about the caviar nails too... i never thought about all the little pieces falling off, that is good to know! Maybe a top coat or something might help? Or I guess that might ruin the look of them?

    Lauren | http://www.livelovelauren.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading Lauren...yep the nail caviar does recommend putting a clear coat just on the tips of your nails...but I have to say I didn't think it did anything. However, as a total novice, maybe its my technique!!!
      x

      Delete
  2. You should try flowers - so easy but you do need to buy a couple of nail art pens in different colours. Then just paint the base coat, do a few white dots, then dot around those dots in the other colour and you have flowers :) Super easy!!

    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually thinking of trying the nail art pens...will let you know how I get on!
      Thank you so much for reading my blog and taking the time to comment!
      x

      Delete
  3. Yes caviar it's not to easy ;) But it's cute sometime! kiss
    ELi
    www.welovefashion.it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!
      Thank you so much for reading!
      x

      Delete
  4. the first nail are do cute ♥

    Check my blog YOKO NGUYEN BLOG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you Yoko for taking the time to read and comment! I appreciate it x

      Delete
  5. Love the first nail look,very pretty:))

    ReplyDelete