Wednesday, 23 July 2014

The Legendary Eye Flick

For today's Whatever Wednesday I thought I would share with you my go-to make up look at the minute...the Alexa Chung Cat Eye Flick.  I used to wear this look ALL the time (I think mainly because I was too lazy to apply any eyeshadow).  I kinda ditched my eyeliner in recent months, favouring various eyeshadow palettes, but then an allergic reaction to some makeup has stopped me in my tracks and I am now favouring the simplicity and none allergic reaction of this look! 

Before we get started I have a few disclaimers to make.  Firstly, you have two options.  If you would like to see how the actual Alexa Chung does her eyeliner you can click here to be redirected to an amazing YouTube video by Lisa Eldridge which I recently found.  However, if you would like to see how a mum does the look in her back garden whilst multi-tasking and chasing her toddler round the garden all the while with the risk of being drenched from the water table then please please read on.  Also, it is alot harder than you think to take a mere picture of your eye.  I looked on my phone and I had taken over 90 pictures.  Now you would think I would have got it after the first 40, but apparently not.  I hope these pictures are ok, and some are in black and white to make the eyeliner more visible. 

So first thing is first, your chosen eye liner is key.  Have one that is too thick and you can kiss your cat flick goodbye unless you have got a hell of alot of time and a draw full of cotton buds. I got the Eyeko Skinny Eyeliner in Black free with a Glamour magazine last month (love a magazine freebie!!) and I have found the point on the eyeliner is really thin and this lets you get the flick very fine indeed.


Step one is to create the outer flick.  I never used to do this first, but it is so much easier to start from the outside and work your way in.  So you want to create a curved line which reflects your under-lash line if it was to continue up to your eyebrow.  So kinda like a semi-circle.  Do not worry if you think the flick is too big.  It won't be.  I find it tends to not look as big when you have your mascara on. 



Once you have done this, you then need to start filling in the flick towards the centre of your eye.  Keep doing a bit at a time to create the line.


Once this is complete you then need to continue the line along to your top inner corner.  I like to make this line thinner and thinner rather than have the same width across all of my eye.


Then ta-dah! An Alexa worthy eye flick (hopefully).  Once you get the hang of this look it is so so easy to do.  And perfect for those days when you haven't got the time to be applying and blending eyeshadows.  



Hope you all are having a lovely Wednesday and please let me know how you get on with this look.  Are you a fan? Have you any more tips or tricks to share?

As always thank you so much for reading

x

2 comments:

  1. Looking fabulous! I would much rather know how a mum achieves a look in her back garden whilst multi-tasking, than Alexa Chung I have to say! Lovely post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you! What a lovely comment :-)
      x

      Delete