Wednesday, 6 August 2014

Here Hold This...

There are certain things you have to do when you are a mum. Childbirth, getting through a day on 20 seconds of sleep, having food thrown at your head...oh yes and holding a snake! This is what happened when we went to Derby Museum's Bug Bonanza last week.  Not only did we hold a snake, we also met and held a variety of bugs, reptiles and creepy crawlies.  And what do you say when a roomful of toddlers and children are looking at you as you are handed old Mr.Snakey...you smile politely and hold the snake, whilst secretly chanting a prayer to the gods that you make it out of the room alive. 

"I'm cool with this"

"Yes, yes, i'm finnnnneeeee"

Derby Museum appear to be experts in organising family friendly free sessions which are not only educational but fun too!!! I just loved the attention that was paid to the very little ones, they are not left at the back as can sometimes happen.  When Baba  began to cry because she wanted to hold a frog (!), the gentleman in charge of the animals brought her to the front and placed a frog on each of her hands. Baba was over the moon!  Though I did lose count of the amount of times I told her 'gentle hands'!!.  The session was expertly organised, and the gentleman explaining all about the animals was really passionate about his work and passing on his knowledge to the children. 




This little bearded dragon was more my thing.  She didn't move much. 

If your in the Derby area, check to see if this fantastic museum is running any sessions and please go! The museum is also in the process of refurbishing parts of its exhibitions. At the moment, Baba loves running through the caves in the natural history section, with me chasing after her.  A link to the the museum website is here.

The natural world is just a fascinating topic for children, and after all, they are the next generation that are going to be sharing the planet with all these animals.  So yes, if it helps for me to hold a snake, I'll do it.  I'm just hoping no one noticed the bead of sweat on my top lip and paler than normal complexion! 



"If we want children to flourish, to become truly empowered, then let us allow them to love the earth before we ask them to save it", David Sobel. 

x


Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

19 comments:

  1. Brave you and brave baba! I think I would rather hold a snake than a frog.... Though they both give me the heeby jeebys haha! It sounds like a great exhibit though and I will definitely check it out as I haven't been in years. I grew up in Derby and am now just across the border in Notts, so we are in a similar neck of the woods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes would definitely recommend popping by if you are in the area!
      But give me a frog over a snake any day!
      Thank you so much for taking the time to comment x

      Delete
  2. Oh you are so brave! I am scared rigid of snakes - you wouldn't have got me near it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I wouldn't say brave...more like I was trying to look tough :-) x

      Delete
  3. Wow you are very brave! Looks like a great event though x

    http://www.youbabymemummy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for popping by and commenting! x

      Delete
  4. Oh my word! You are brave then me... Well done.
    Loving that top btw xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's actually a dress and you can find it on one of my fashion Friday blogs if you are interested! (its called Tribal Print).
      x

      Delete
  5. How brave are you! eEK! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No-thank you for hosting!
      I think I have come to the conclusion I am not the biggest snake fan :-) x

      Delete
  6. Ahhh, you're so brave...I really couldn't have done that, not even with the peer pressure of dozens of toddler eyes! x #letkidsbekids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He,he! It may never happen again!!! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! x

      Delete
  7. I am so sorry but I dont think I can do that. I am so scared of snakes and I can never ever touch it! You are so brave! #letkidsbekids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He,he...brave or stupid maybe!?!
      Thank you for reading! x

      Delete
  8. Well done for holding the snake. It sounds like a great museum and bug session. Kids love seeing all those creatures.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was lots of fun! And thank you for the fab linky! x

      Delete
  9. You do look a bit scared in that first picture but more relaxed later on. I do love getting up close and personal with wild animals and would love to have seen that giant millipede.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you so much for taking the time to comment x

      Delete