Monday, 11 August 2014

Lies, lies, lies and stomach ache

As I was growing up, there were certain things my mum used to tell me, that being a young, innocent and impressionable child, I totally believed.  It's only when I got a bit older and wiser that I realised that the woman is crazy and I have no idea where half of the things she told me actually came from.  But being a mum myself now, I guess her little lies she used to tell me were part of some parenting strategy to keep me from doing certain things, to stop me being a little bugger or maybe on days when she had plain just had enough of me.  I do wonder if I will adopt some of these little lies myself or just make some up of my own as I try and set Baba on the straight and narrow.  I thought today I would share with you some of her quotes that have stuck with me.  

"Don't walk on the kitchen floor with no socks on as it gives you stomach ache".
My mum loves saying this one, and she still says it to my sister.  I have no idea how the kitchen floor would effect your stomach.  Basically this is just my mum saying, "put some socks or slippers on".  I mean I am thinking the worse case scenario here would be cold feet or a slip / trip. 

"Too many grapes give you stomach ache".
There was always a bit of a theme with stomach ache with my mum's little lies.  I don't know if that was because she thought that would be enough to scare us or if  she wasn't being very imaginative.  Eating too many grapes apparently caused the dreaded stomach ache.  I think my mum just didn't want us eating all of the food. 

"You've caught a chill".
To this day I am not sure what a 'chill' actually is, but we all have it alot apparently.  I think it is more of a cold.  God forbid if you get cold, don't wear a coat, get a wet sock, forget your umbrella because the dreaded chill will get you.  I have tried to argue many times of the science behind the cold and flu viruses, but it would appear a cold is linked to being cold so you best wrap up.

"A stiff neck is caused by having the window open in the car".
When my mum is a passenger in the car you have to be very mindful of the angles of air flow. If she feels any breeze is hitting her neck you best wind that window up ASAP.  As after 30 seconds she will complain of a stiff neck.

"A glass of water heals most ailments".
Headache? Drink some water.
Too hot? Drink some water.
Dizzy? Drink some water.
Tired? Drink some water. 
There isn't any sympathy from my mum if you haven't been drinking enough water. 

"Woodlice Will Bite you (as will most other garden creatures)".

You can tell me otherwise but last time I checked, woodlice don't bite.  Now my mum never told me beetles can too and I had a nasty shock when I was playing with a big one once (as a child!). I think my mum was probably sick of me playing with them and bringing them into the house.  Luckily, her words haven't resulted in a phobia. 

I am sure there are many more little gems, but those are the ones I can remember.  I think it's hard when you have children to be on form all of the time, and sometimes instead of giving a very long winded answer, one of these little answers may slip out. 

Did your parents ever tell you complete rubbish? Or do you now say anything to your little ones that you later think...whhhaaat?!?!

Would love to hear your thoughts and comments.

And did I hear you say you weren't subscribed? Get yourself over to the column on the right and get a following :-)

As always thanks so much for reading and happy Monday!


x










8 comments:

  1. Oh amazing - this did make me chuckle a lot! I think I generally had the bog standard ones such as 'eating your crusts will make your hair curly' (that was very odd, because I have naturally curly hair and hated it when I was little - not sure why this would make me want to eat my crusts).

    Not something I heard from my parents, but I was once told that if you step in wet concrete, you will get cancer. A bit grim, and a little spooky - needless, to say, I've avoided wet concrete like the plague since, and rather embarrassingly, I only found out that you wouldn't actually catch a nasty illness from wet concrete last year..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh that last one is a bit creepy! I have to say I had heard of a similar one but didn't want to put it in, in case it freaked people out!
      x

      Delete
  2. Your Mum sounds ace!! I love the water one, I still do this one now...I down water for anything! I love little 'white-lies' and I am sure I will be using my own on the twins soon enough!!!!!! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading! Yes my mum is pretty ace...and very funny! x

      Delete
  3. Haha sounds just like my own mum. Great post, made me chuckle #mummymonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for taking the time to comment!
      x

      Delete
  4. ha ha! I can imagine Ellie blogging a post like this...but instead of get a drink of water it will be 'go and lay down' 'go back to sleep' ha ha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he,he! Yes I can also imagine my daughter having a few to tell in the years to come! x

      Delete