Saturday, 23 August 2014

My running journey so far

First of all, I have to say, I was never a runner as a child.  I can vividly remember at primary school having to run around the playground for cross-country.  I HATED it.  I wasn't the one at the back crying, (that was always someone else, usually a girl). And whilst I wasn't that girl, to be fair I wasn't that far ahead of her. 

As an adult, it hadn't really crossed my mind to run, unless I was speed shopping in town at Christmas.  But three years ago, I decided that I wanted to be fitter and healthier and I started running.  I began very slowly, and over the course of about 6 months, I was able to run quite fair distances of between 6-9 miles.  But that is where my running peaked and abruptly stopped.  Another reason I had started running was because I wanted to be the fittest I could be to help me get pregnant.  And it worked! So as soon as I had started, I hung up my cheap running trainers, as I just did not feel comfortable running whilst pregnant.

Fast forward three years and a baby later.  I had started to feel that I wanted to do a bit more exercise and get into shape a little bit, and also I wanted to see if my body could actually do those runs I had done pre-baby.  So one cold morning in March, I popped my trainers on and off I went.  The resounding answer was NO, my body could not do those runs. I returned home about 20 minutes later after only managing 1 minute of running to 2 minutes walking.  I thought my husband might have to call me an Ambulance.  Jeez, I had lost it!! After moaning for about an hour on the state of my fitness and woe is me, my husband kindly reminded me I was never Jessia Ennis (oh yeah), and that I shouldn't stop now.  And so I didn't.  



Every other morning I was out, trying to get that little bit better. I would like to say everything just clicked, but it didn't.  It took patience and alot of effort to get my body back up to running again. But I loved it.  I loved how my body started changing, my legs and arms became that little bit leaner.  I loved that I was going further and further each time.  I also loved that time to myself.  I pop my ear phones in and all I have to worry about is moving my legs.  Sometimes, after a very long day, this is heaven. Running clears my head, and I also feel thankful at what my body can actually do. 

So from March to now, I have very, very slowly built up from my 1 minute run to 2 minute walking pace, to now being able to run non-stop for 7 miles. So what now? This is what I was thinking to myself this week.  I had been toying with the idea of a 10k since April, but now I feel I am a bit past that as being my goal.  So I've gone one up.  I've entered the Leicester half marathon on 26th October.  This has filled me with an equal sense of dread, excitement and anxiety...I have 9 weeks to go from running 7 to running 13.1 miles (don't forget the 0.1 mile). AND, I am also going to try and raise some money whilst I am doing it.  I am thinking that saying I am running a half marathon sounds pretty impressive, so family and friends may feel compelled to donate!  And, its a good feeling doing something to help others too. 

I will keep you posted with how I am getting on.
Wish me luck!

x

P.S If you did want to help me raise some money for running a half marathon, my Just Giving Page link is here. Any donation, no matter how small, will help me raise money for my chosen charity, UNICEF. 
P.S.S. Thank you. 


2 comments:

  1. I am super impressed! GOOD LUCK with the half marathon. I did one two years ago, and whilst I would love to say that I enjoyed every minute of it, I have to be honest and say I didn't....BUT once you get over the finishing line, it is the most amazing feeling. Needless to say, I didn't catch the running bug though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! I maybe asking your advice then! At the moment I am going through phases of thinking, yep I can do this, to, oh my god, I can't even run a mile without a stitch. I will get over that finish line if I have to crawl!!! 9 weeks to go! x

      Delete