Monday, 15 September 2014

Being a YES mummy

Before I had my daughter I had alot of crazy ideas.  These ranged from ideas that I could watch movies at night when I had a two week old tucked up in her moses basket, that I would still be able to have a leisurely shower with a baby and that I could continue to go to the toilet in peace.  Boy, did my ideas bubble get burst.  But I also had these other aspirations of the kind of mum I wanted to be.



I wanted to be a kind mum, a patient mum and I also wanted to be a fun mum. I try my hardest to be the best mum I can be. But sometimes, instead of having lots of fun, I'm juggling dog walking, ironing (when does the ironing ever end-oh yeah it doesn't), cleaning and washing.  Fun can get pushed to the side a bit, and a word I keep saying is 'no'.  Eurgh. Who wants to hear 'no'? Who want to be a 'no' mummy? 'No Baba we can't go outside just yet', 'No please don't climb up there'.  So I've decided I am going to try and stop it. 

I don't mean I am going to become one of these mums that never says no to their child and then lets them have 8 fizzy drinks and a bag full of sugar and lets them climb up the curtains.  I just want to appreciate my time with Baba more and be more spontaneous and fun. 

I am in such a lucky position that I haven't had to return to work (yet), and I sometimes , most of the time, I do not appreciate that. It just slips my mind in my day to day life.  I have the whole day to do as I please with my gorgeous daughter.  We can do whatever we want. The world is our oyster! (Almost). I mean I still need to walk the dog, conquer the mountain that is the ironing and do a spot of cleaning, but I will never get this time back with my daughter.  

This is our time. I'm not saying it's all going to be fun and games. I mean both me and Baba have our good and bad days.  But I'm going to give saying yes more a go.

So, within reason, if Baba wants to play outside in her PJS after breakfast why shouldn't we? Why say no? Let's go and have more FUN and run and play and laugh. I will keep you updated with my project 'yes'. Let's do this! 

"The most memorable moments in life are the ones we never took the time to plan", Kushandwizdom.  







6 comments:

  1. Love this post! And I can totally relate. I'm trying to be more "present" with my daughter. She's only 5 months old so the things we can do are limited...but I'm really trying to make an effort to get down on the playmat with her for extended periods of time and all that stuff. She's already quite clingy though so I'm kind of dreading the next phase where she'll be able to follow me around and going to the loo in peace will be tricky! haha...lovely photo as well (came via #MMWBH) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! What a lovely comment! Ahhh enjoy your time with your five month old...before you know it they are two! x

      Delete
  2. Great mentality. I'm in the same boat. I am home with my daughter and (as lucky as you) haven't returned to work yet. And oftentimes, I do catch myself saying no more often than yes. Letting loose once in a while is a good thing, and I too am learning how to do that. Thank you for sharing!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by. It's not always easy to get out of the 'no' mentality...but I'm trying! x

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I often find myself saying 'no' etc and need to turn things around to be more positive I think. Good luck with it x #MMBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's hard at times but really trying to be more 'present' if that makes sense! x

      Delete