Monday, 29 September 2014

Haircut with a toddler in tow

I am very lazy with my hair at the moment.  Pre-baby, you could usually find me for hours on end in the salon, trying to perfect the latest blonde or brown hue.  Post-baby, I whack on a home hair dye and now resemble something similar to Cousin It.  Not that I've let myself go or anything, but my hair is at the bottom of a long list of other priorities (but don't worry, I still make time for make up and shopping!).  So, we are going on our holidays next week, and I did not want to look back on our holiday snaps and wonder who the bedraggled looking lady was with my husband and daughter.  A SOS haircut was needed.  But, my problem was that  I could only book in for a haircut whilst my two year old daughter was with me. Hmmmmm.

To be honest, hair cut's have never been that relaxing to me.  It all seems a bit unnatural talking to a complete stranger whilst you cautiously eye up how much they are actually snipping off your head, as chunks of hair fall to the floor. Baba wasn't intruding on my 'me' time by coming along.  In fact I was glad of the company.  What worried me more was that Baba could have a full blown tantrum and I may have to leave the salon with only half my head cut.  But this was an SOS after all.

I prepared.  And then prepared some more.  I filled my bag with snacks, drinks and books.  I had Peppa Pig at the ready on YouTube. I downloaded her favourite game on the I Phone.  I charged my I Phone. I was ready to go into battle.  I mean, get my haircut. 

The day arrived, and...it went perfectly.  Baba sat next to me in a chair and happily munched on her apple whilst Peppa and George got up to their usual antics. All the ladies cooed over what a sweet and well behaved girl she was.  I wasn't stressed, I have to say, and rather than keeping on eye on the hairdresser whilst chatting, I had one eye on my daughter.  Luckily, the hairdresser was fantastic and I love my new hair!!

Baba has never had her hair cut and the hairdresser offered to give her a little trim too, so she had her first hair cut! It was only a little trim, but it does look alot tidier. Baba was so excited!!! There was no drama, no tantrums and not a tear in sight from either of us. I would never chance a cut and colour, but a cut went perfectly.  The only problem is I have now run out of mobile data as Peppa Pig has drained all my monthly allowance!!! Oh well, at least we both have nice swishy hair! 


Thanks for reading! And have you ever taken your child with you to the hairdressers? Would you? Would you mind if a child was there watching Peppa Pig? Comments below please!




20 comments:

  1. Lovely post, and you are v lucky - my little man has a giant meltdown every time anyone comes near him with scissors! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you so much for stopping by! I wish you lots of luck with your little man and any future hair cuts!! x

      Delete
  2. Oh wow, you look gorgeous and glad to hear her cut went well, had to take my eldest back 3 times before school for a trim he kept moving so much! #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Glad to hear he finally got his hair cut (eventually!). And thank you so much for the lovely compliment! x

      Delete
  3. Hair looks lysh! Glad it was stress free. I'm desperate to get mine cut but have 16 month old twins - can't see them being well behaved!! #mummymonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!!
      Hmmm not sure I could manage with twins and a hair cut...maybe with two I-phones?!? Or maybe you need an afternoon off to treat yourself :-)
      Thanks so much for stopping by x

      Delete
  4. I think I'd be too scared to take a toddler with me - but I wouldn't mind if there was another one there. Hair looks lush #mummymonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they should have Mummy Mondays at hairdressers!
      Thank you so much for your lovely comment x

      Delete
  5. So pleased that it went well! It looks lovely. I took my 2yo when I just needed a fringe trip and he hated it and cried! He's yet to have a hair cut as he really does not trust those hairdressers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That's a shame!
      Thank you for your comment and for stopping by x

      Delete
  6. Really happy it went well. Like you my hair has gone to the bottom of the priority list. I plan on getting it done soon, hopefully, but I'm not sure I could be as brave as you. You look fab by the way. #mummymonday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hair looks fab beautiful mama! Sounds like it was a good experience. I think you definitely had the right idea with all the planning and peppa pig to entertain. I almost took my baby with me to get my nails done but luckily my husband came home early that day from work! #mummymonday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine nails would be a bit tricky as you are a bit stuck whilst they are drying!!!!
      Thank you so much for commenting and for stopping by! x

      Delete
  8. Grace says - YAY!! Baba got a haircut too. I love your hair too. Have a great holiday xx #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
  9. Firstly, gorgeous haircut - you look stunning. Yay to Baba too for being such a good girl. We have a hairdresser come to ours so with a bit of bribery involving Haribo and the Power Rangers on TV, we normally have a passable experience. My hairdressers blonde too which helps. Lucas likes blondes!! #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you know good bribery tricks too :-)
      Thanks so much for stopping by x

      Delete
  10. I am soooo overdue a haircut - I haven't had one since I was pregnant and my son's 21 months now! Clearly I just need to pluck up the courage to take him with me... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DO IT! DO IT!
      You will be fine...just pick a good time and have lots of food and entertainment on hand! Thanks for stopping by! x

      Delete