Monday, 1 September 2014

One White Orchid

When Baba was one week old, a friend came to visit us to see how we were doing.  She brought with her this lovely white orchid as a congratulations present.  I put the orchid in the kitchen, thanked her for her lovely gift, and hoped to God I could keep it alive for a few days. 

The first few weeks of motherhood turned into months, and when I occasionally cast a glance towards the kitchen window, the orchid looked OK.  I wouldn't say it was thriving, but there was still a bit of green on it, which in my book, meant it was still alive. 

Winter came, and the orchid was now more of a brown twig in a pot. But I didn't have the heart to throw it out, so it just stayed in its pot, in the kitchen window. Spring came, and not much happened in the pot.  I began to think it might be time to throw it out, and I think visitors began to wonder why I had one lonely brown twig in a pot. 

But then around the time of Baba's first birthday, something wonderful happened.  Exactly one year from when we had first been given it, the twig turned into a beautiful orchid with six pure white flowers.  And so the cycle began.  By winter, the lonesome brown twig had returned and the beautiful flowers were no more.  



As another year passed and Baba turned two, the orchid awoke again, and the delicate white flowers re-bloomed.  I don't think that person knows how much I look at that plant.  It still sits in my kitchen window, and whilst it is a miracle that the plant has survived in my hands, its also a  miracle how this one twig can transform every year into the most beautiful plant, a reminder of the seasons and how they pass.  Each year it blooms I am transported back to those very first days of feeding and snuggles, reveling in the miracle of my new born baby. 


Have a lovely day.





14 comments:

  1. Oh how gorgeous, and what a lovely story! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post. I've never managed to keep an orchid alive! #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a small miracle that the Orchid is still alive. Thank you so much for commenting x

      Delete
  3. A beautiful entry! I love this story and I love white orchids. They are my mother's fave! #whatsthestory

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you for reading x

      Delete
  4. Awe what a great story - it must bring back so many squishy, newborn memories and it will be lovely to tell Baba about its origin as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed it survives for a few years longer! Thank you so much for stopping by and reading! x

      Delete
  5. I was just about to throw away an orchid i had been given - perhaps I'll keep it until Spring to see if it re-flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOO! Keep it! That's what I thought and two years later its still going! Thanks so much for stopping by x

      Delete
  6. That is amazing, what a wonderful reminder of such a special time

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful post! I love orchids but can never keep them alive!

    ReplyDelete