Sunday, 28 September 2014

Running Update: Double figures.

There are only 4 weeks to go until my very first half marathon. EEEEEEEEKKKKKKKK! (If you haven't read my running journey so far and what I'm actually up to then you can catch up here.) So, this weekend was the big one.  I actually had to do a 10 mile run as part of my training.  All week, this run was on my mind.  I don't know if it was the thought of getting into double figures, or if it was the fact that 10 miles sounded way too far, but I was actually dreading doing it. It wasn't a nice feeling.  And as I am a worrier by nature, this didn't make things any easier.  BUT. I knew I had to do it.  There was no backing out.  I couldn't run a half marathon if I can't get passed 10. So, on Sunday morning at 7.30 am off I ran.

First of all, planning a 10 mile run wasn't that easy and I don't know if I planned the best route.  We do live quite near a cycle route, but, I was a bit worried (!) that it might be a bit too quiet along there at 7.30 am on a Sunday morning.  Safety first.  So instead I ran to a nearby pub which was 2.5 miles away (unfortunately I didn't go in), I then ran home (5 miles), ran back to the pub (7.5 miles) and then ran home for the final 10 miles.  It wasn't exactly flat, and as I ran back up a hill for the second time in a row I seriously questioned my ability in planning a straightforward route. 

I can not tell you the range of emotions I felt when running.  There was alot of me thinking that I couldn't do it and I needed to lie down. There was then me telling myself I could do it and willing myself on.  Then I thought of why I was doing the run and raising money for UNICEF, I tried to focus on how proud I would feel after completing it, then I thought of collapsing.  Mile after mile I ran...and mile after mile I was having this inner dialogue of thinking I can do it to thinking there's just no way.  But then, by some small miracle, I did it!

I literally opened our front door and lay face first on the floor. That's how utterly exhausted I felt. Sunday passed in a bit of a blur, all I really wanted to do was lie in bed, but when you have a two year old, you can't do this. I was also a bit worried as my knee started hurting, and I was unsure if I had injured myself.  But, I can report that today I am still alive and  I feel fine.  There is no pain in my knee and I feel a wave of relief that I actually ran for 10 miles.  Of course, this isn't over.  I need to try and run 12 miles next week, but that's next week, and those nasty double figures can back off for a week while I recoup.  

I never thought the journey and training would be so hard in running my first half marathon.  But I am going to do this.  I am going to try and raise as much money as I can for UNICEF.  Then I will probably collapse face first at the finish line.  But I will do it. 


post signature

P.S. If you did fancy sponsoring me (no pressure) pop on over to my Just Giving Page here and any donation, now matter how small will help me raise some money for this amazing cause, for children and families who face hardships that are much worse than me trying to run a half marathon, every single day of their lives. Thank you x


Mama and More

8 comments:

  1. You are amazing woman! #allaboutyou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I'm not sure about that but thank you! x

      Delete
  2. Amazing! Well done hun, I hope you raise loads of money x #AllAboutYou

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting to double figures!
    There really is a huge range of emotions to go through when running, I always find I need more metal strength than physical strength.
    Good Luck with your race!
    Claudia... stopping by from mama- and more #Allaboutyou

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a trooper!!! I was meant to do my first 10K a few weeks ago but a lack of training combined with a chesty cough put paid to that! I only ever managed a 4 miles (and I constantly had that battle of I'm going to walk/NO YOU CAN DO IT thoughts going through my head) so you are amazing to me!
    Thanks for linking up to #AllAboutYou xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Fingers crossed for the 26th! x

      Delete