Friday, 17 October 2014

A french fish plait

There are lots of perks to following people on Instagram.  I get to see what my friends and family are up to, I get to see what people are wearing, buying, doing.  A downside is everyone I follow seems to lead a very glamorous life and as they head into Chanel I'm getting ready to go to playgroup (ah, but I wouldn't have it any other way!).  But, another good thing is I can look at peoples style and then mix it up a bit and try and make it more my own.  I spotted this hairstyle on a few people's Instagrams and decided to try and do it for myself.  

To be fair, this doesn't really look like what I was planning to achieve but I still think it looks good and I hope you do too! A little disclaimer, my daughter was being an angel for me at the time, and hence the relaxed environment of me playing about with my hair, somedays I barely manage to brush it!!!

Ok, so ideally to do this style you need to know how to do a fish tail braid.  If you don't, I promise once you figure out how to do them they are really easy...honest!!! Search for it on YouTube and watch a few tutorials.  Fleur de Force has a good one on her channel that I recommend. 

So, pull all your hair over the shoulder you want the plait to hang. Take a top section, being sure to pull some from the other side of your head, and begin a normal french braid.  


Slowly work down, and just keep incorporating more hair to the plait. 


Stop when you have it all in the braid.


This is where you are going to fish tail.  (Though if you really can't fish tail, you could just continue to plait the rest). 

Separate your three strands into two and then begin your fishtail braid all the way to the base of your hair.  Secure with a clear bobble. 


I find it best to gently tease out some of the hair and just make it look a bit undone.  Though sometimes, I really don't need to bother doing this, as my daughter will kindly mess it up within the hour.


And there you have it! A side braid that I think looks lovely and is perfect for those windy Autumn days when you want your hair up but want something a bit different. 

What are your thoughts? Please let me know in the comments below if you try this hairstyle and link up your pictures so I can see!

As always, thanks so much for reading! Wishing you a lovely weekend! 


post signature

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!