Tuesday, 28 October 2014

I did it!


I did it. I did it. I did it!!! On Sunday 26th October I ran the Leicester half marathon. All 13.1 miles of it (don't forget the 0.1). It was amazing. It was hard. It was everything and more than I thought it would be. 


I was so nervous in the morning, I was definitely excited too, but more nervous than anything.  All week I had been fretting about it, but on the Sunday morning, it was as if this strange calmness took over.  I just knew I was going to finish it.  I could and would do it.

AS I set off, everyone was going so quickly (which a friend had warned me about not doing), and so many people overtook me.  I have to say, after a few miles, I got into my stride.  And then, of course, I needed a wee. I think it was all my nervous energy.  I knew there were toilets at mile 6, so I managed to hold on.  However, the moment I stopped for my toilet break, it was almost as if my body went, Woah! I thought we had finished! Right on cue, my knees started to ache which was the pain I was dreading. But I just kept running. There really was no option to stop.  (Reading this back, I really do sound like Forrest Gump!).  

And this went on for another 7 miles really. Gritting my teeth and willing myself on. I apologise to anyone who ran near me as I did do a few 'c'mon Laura' shouts / growls to myself and I think I made one woman jump. I did sound a bit weird. But I just thought sod it. I'm going to bloody cheer myself on! I don't however apologise to the man who had the worst ever running playlist playing loudly. It did make me speed up just so I didn't have to hear his god awful music. 

Then there were the crowds in Leicester. Cheering you on. Strangers shouting 'you can do it', to which I usually cheered back 'yeah, c'mon Laura' (again slightly weird, but it got me through). If a person happens to read this who was in Leicester on Sunday, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for cheering and giving me encouragement.  My amazing parents, sister, husband and daughter stood waiting for me around the course just to see me run past in all of 2 seconds.  My husband has the funniest video of the back of my head and then he exclaims to our daughter, 'oh that's it, she's ran past'.  He had the cutest t-shirts made for himself and Baba to wear!


The last two miles were the hardest, but were just indescribable.  We ran through the centre of Leicester and there were drums and bands playing, people singing, people cheering.  It was such an amazing atmosphere and I suppose a little bit similar to the buzz people must feel when they are in the Olympics.  Ok, I know I wasn't in the Olympics, but you know what I mean (though I have told my daughter the medal I got is an Olympic gold medal). The crowd literally made me forget the pain and I just ran.   

I cannot tell you the high I felt running over the finish line, and I am still on that high! I feel so proud and also so proud that what I did has helped the work of UNICEF.  And this is where I want to say thank you to everyone who has sponsored me, tweeted me, messaged me, cheered at the sidelines and told me I could do it.  I cannot thank you enough.  Thank you Becky, Katherine, Kelly, Jo, Liz, Claire (I ran mile 8 for you), Tom, Chris, the whole Bee family, Helen, Donna, Deneen, Gill, Mary, Gina, Charlie, and the anonymous people who have donated too. And a special thank you to my amazing mum, dad and sister who traipsed around Leicester to cheer me on.  And to my wonderful husband and daughter who have supported me through my months of training, evening runs, my doubts, injuries and tears.  I am so so lucky to have such an amazing family.   

It's already a running joke (!) in our household that I haven't stopped talking about the run yet. And yes, I love wearing my medal and I was tempted to wear it to the shops. And yes, I may have my winners t-shirt on right now as I type this blog post.  


I am hobbling about because my knees hurt so much.  But, you know what I said to my mum on the afternoon of the race.  Yep, you guessed it.  I said I think I want to run a marathon next! This is no time soon you understand.  But I've definitely caught that running bug, and it feels so amazing pushing yourself to the limit. 

I did it. And you will be pleased you don't live in my house, as I can recreate my run in astounding detail (obviously adding dramatic details for effect) which I like to do on the hour! 

Thank you for reading and thank you for your support. 

I did it! Woop woop! 


post signature


Mama and More

20 comments:

  1. That's fantastic. Congratulations and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! That's a big accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I love the t-shirt they had made!
    I did my first half marathon (Great North Run) in 2013, my daughter took my finishers medal into school and told everyone I came 2nd - well it was silver!!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww that is so sweet. I have visions of my daughter telling everyone I won the Olympics when she is older. But I am not going to tell her otherwise at the moment! x

      Delete
  4. That's awesome! You have good reason to be proud and happy and talk about it a lot! I ran a half marathon in 2007 and I know it is hard when it's the first time! Congratulations! Enjoy and savour the moment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yep, still on a high from it 4 days later! x

      Delete
  5. YES! Go you, huge congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done Laura! That's amazing and such an achievement!

    As someone who hasn't run further than about 800metres (and that was at school) I am in awe. And I have to tell you, if I was you, I'd be wearing my medal to the shops, to the pub, to well anywhere really, for as long as possible ;-) x

    #AllAboutYou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I really don't need any encouragement wearing my medal :-) x

      Delete
  7. Congratulations, what a huge achievement. Well done you.
    Jo (Not A Frumpy Mum)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an amazing achievement! well done you xx #allaboutyou

    ReplyDelete