Thursday, 30 October 2014

Oh, hi Mrs Beckham!

I can tell you are wondering how on Earth I have managed to name check a certain Mrs Beckham in my blog.  Let me explain, so you don't think I've gone mad.  My blogging reading list is quite varied. Some blogs are by mums and dads that are pretty similar to myself.  Trying to get to grips with parenthood, sharing failures and lessons learnt (let's not mention my use of a swim nappy that time).  I read fashion and beauty blogs and daydream of products I obviously need in my life.  Then there are the blogs where the girls twirl in Prada, sip cocktails and always seem to be having the time of their lives whilst simultaneously hearing the funniest joke whilst their partner / professional photographer takes a picture for Instagram (no, no, I'm not jealous at all).  But I digress.  It leads to me wonder who actually reads my blog. 

It got me thinking that whilst people's lives may seem a million miles from my own, fundamentally, don't we all have the same fears, the same struggles, the same worries? Blogs give us that insight into the lives of people we may never actually meet, and whilst at first glance the differences can seem so contrasting to that of our own lives, but looking a little deeper can show fundamental similarities. 

Parenting blogs reflect what parenting is actually like. It can be a far cry from what is thrust at us from the media.  No airbrushing, no covering up the bad bits, no magazine worthy interviews that have been reworded by a very talented PR. Blogs reflect parenting, warts and all.  The highs and the lows. The good bits and bad bits.  Real life. And don't we all have that fundamental yearning?  Don't we all want to know that we are doing OK? Don't we all want to know that the next mum or dad has only had 30 minutes of sleep last night too? That potty training is bloody hard, and yes we are chasing the dog away from our toddlers poo that they neatly did on the kitchen floor? 

And maybe, just maybe, VB likes to hear that she is doing Ok as a mum. Only too often celebrities are dissected and criticised for their looks, their clothes, the way they parent.  It's not like VB can go and have a sob at her local stay and play. Parenting is hard. And it's that reassurance that we all crave. Knowing that we all make mistakes. That someone else has been there. Not being judged, not being papped by the paparazzi and then dissected piece by piece for the world to see. The blogging network is about that support, that community spirit, and that virtual hug, that says, yes, I've been there too and you know what, its going to be ok. 

So, maybe, just maybe, those gorgeous, Amazonian wonder mums we read about and watch in awe on the TV on the front row at London fashion week actually read our blogs.  They actually read and nod their heads.  They have been there too. And maybe, just maybe, VB fancies reading the goings on in Derbyshire. And if she does...hi there VB...welcome to my blog! And if she doesn't...hmmm, maybe Blake Lively fancies stopping by? 





20 comments:

  1. I wish the Duchess of Cambridge would read my blog. I dont know why but that would be awesome! We can dream =) #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot about Kate...that would be pretty amazing! We certainly can dream! Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  2. Haha cute post, how cool would that be if a celebrity secretly read our blog?? Umm... super cool! I read a lot of different blogs too. I'm not a mom so I don't read many parent blogs but I am sure I will later on :P

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...though I think I may sound a little delusional :-)
      Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  3. I couldn't agree more! This is why I've started up my new linky The Truth about... a one stop place to go to read and share some of those 'real' moments when we all need reassurance that we're not in it alone, or a chance to rethink a bad day and put a funny spin on it! You know you don't always want to be reading blogs by people who know how to make everything look beautiful - some of the time, yes, but not all the time - trying to banish the green-eyed monster here! :-) #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree and I will be checking your new linky out...sounds fab! x

      Delete
  4. Hmmm! I wonder who has been reading my blog? Wouldn't having an entourage of people to look after you and yours change your parenting perspective? Just wondering... #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erm yes I think a mini entourage totally would :-)
      Thank you for stopping by x

      Delete
  5. Great post hun. I recon VB reads your blog ;) x #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the thought of VB perusing your blog (or even mine), after all she is only human and like you said still faces the same pressure, anxieties and stresses that we all suffer as parents.

    For some reason there are people who think that celebrities are super human beings and not like the rest of us at all, but I like to think that behind closed doors they are no different than the rest of us after all they are only huiman.

    Popped over from #PoCoLo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by and I completely agree with your comments! x

      Delete
  7. I love this and so true. When I first starting bloggig I read tons of parent blogs already and I thought I could never do that or how does she or he do it all. I was constantly comparing and but as I have actually got to meet and greet numerous bloggers now that I have followed I can see they are the same as you and me. You are so right. Love this. Thanks for linking up to Share WIth Me. I hope to see you again soon. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a fab linky and glad you liked the post! x

      Delete
  8. Wouldn't it be fab if we had a famous fan of our blogs? It's easy to forget that they are often parents too with the same joys and stresses that it brings. I'm pretty sure that VB would relate to me and my 4 kids :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree that VB would be relate to you too! Thank you so much fro reading and stooping by! x

      Delete
  9. What a fun discovery. It would have been a HUGE ego boost for me to find out that someone famous read what I wrote and liked it!

    Enjoy your day!
    xx
    Lysa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be amazing? I am still waiting for VB herself to comment on this post :-)
      Thank you for reading and hope you have a lovely day too! x

      Delete
  10. Such a good piece - VB SHOULD read this - and the rest of your fab blog!
    I love the blogging community for lifting the lid on the realities of parenting, sooo much better than the glossy mags that just make me feel I must be doing it all wrong! I hope Blogmas is going well and you haven't lost your mind as yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much! What a lovely comment! x

      Delete