Monday, 6 October 2014

Project Yes: Baking

I have recently become alot more conscious about the little every day things that I do and can do with my two year old daughter. I have reflected on how the days are going by so fast, and how sometimes I don't appreciate them enough.  So I have set myself a Project Yes.  A project about having more fun and being more spontaneous.  You can find out more about my Project Yes here

One Saturday afternoon, my husband was out and it was just me and Baba, and I was wondering what we could do.  Cake always goes down a treat in the Laura Evelyn household, so we made some chocolate and vanilla cakes. Now I should do a disclaimer that this is no Nigella recipe.  This is me and Baba having fun, licking bowls and spoons and making a general mess in the kitchen! Baba is fascinated with cooking and gets very excited when I let her help!

You obviously need to look the part if you are baking, so Baba donned her chefs hat and apron. 


Mixing the vanilla cupcakes...


And the chocolate ones.


All ready for the oven.


Baba has no patience for waiting, so promptly left to watch Peppa Pig as the cakes cooked, whilst I cleaned the disaster zone that was the kitchen. 


And ta-dah! This is the finished product!  We made some big cupcakes and some small Baba sized cupcakes. Yum.   


Here is mine and Baba's very basic vanilla and chocolate cupcake recipe: 

200g butter
200g caster sugar
4 eggs
200g self raising flour
4 tbsp cocoa powder
few drops of vanilla essence
150g white chocolate
150g milk chocolate

Mix the butter and sugar together to form a nice creamy consistency.
Beat in the eggs and flour. 

Divide the mixture into two, and in one half add the cocoa powder and in the other half add the vanilla essence. 

Spoon the mixtures into muffin tins lined with paper cases.  We used some large and some very small. 

Bake in the oven fan 160C for about 15-20 minutes.  Smaller cakes will be ready first. 

Melt the white and milk chocolate and drip the white chocolate over the chocolate cupcakes and drip the milk chocolate over the vanilla cupcakes. 

Obviously lick all bowls and spoons.

Eat with a glass of milk if you are a small person or a nice cup of tea if you are grown up. 

Thank you so much for reading my Project Yes escapades and let me know if there are any fun things you do with your little ones or family that you think we should try!



20 comments:

  1. YUM! The cake looks delicious and lovely photos. I think the Project Yes idea is wonderful x

    Beccy ~ Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Hope you are well x

      Delete
  2. So much fun when they can help with the baking, even if it takes longer and I must say lovely looking results! #MagicMoments

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm no Nigella but we did our best! x

      Delete
  3. Hello there, these look delicious! I am going to try your recipe. We do quite a bit of baking together as little man really loves to cook so it will be good to try something new! x #magicmoments

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely idea, I do find I say no far too often... I need to just say yes, have a bit more spontaneous fun with the kids! You cupcakes look fab, we love baking :) #letkidsbekids #magicmoments

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so nice! We usually bake too and my son loves to get involve as well =) #letkidsbekids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't beat a bit of baking (try saying that fast!) x

      Delete
  6. Oh I love that baking hat! Rather fancy one for myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather fetching isn't it? And not at all OTT! x

      Delete
  7. Cute hat! And the cakes looked yummy hun! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, your girl looks so cute in her baking get up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She thinks she the boss in the kitchen when she wears her chefs hat! Thanks so much for stopping by! x

      Delete
  9. Ooh, love the hat! Baking is always such a lovely thing to do together and they look delicious too.
    Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love her little hat. I think I am guilty of saying "No" when i should be saying "Yes" #letkidsbekids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I think most parents would admit to that. It's hard at times but it feels so good when you say yes! x

      Delete