Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Time travel, shopping, nappies & mud

We all do things as mums, that with a little hindsight, we think afterwards,  'what the hell was I thinking'.  Ahhh, hindsight is such a wonderful thing.  In my two years of being a mum to my daughter, there has been more than a handful of times, when I have looked back with shock, disbelief and sometimes laughter at my actions.  So, if time travel actually existed, apart from trying to give myself the winning lottery numbers, here is a few things from a very long list that the two year younger me needs to hear.  

1. Never use a swim nappy as an actual nappy.
Even when you have completely ran out of nappies and you are desperate.  Even if it is Baba's nap time. Even if you are both too tired and Tesco feels like a million miles away.  It will not work. The result will be not only one very wet Baba, but one very wet cot. It will even be in her hair. 

2. Never try and do a food shop when your little one is tired and hungry.
You know the signs that your daughter is tired and hungry, so never ignore them!  Never drag that poor child round Sainsburys so you can do a quick weekly grocery shop! For one, you can never do it that quickly anyway, and two, this is what will happen, tears in aisle 7, screaming in aisle 8, rolling on the floor in aisle 9, and more tears in aisle 10 (this will be from both of you).  

3. Don't judge, be smug or let Baba play by a huge muddy puddle.
On a family day out, you will observe a dad shouting loudly at his toddler and then dragging him away from a giant muddy puddle.  You will judge him and think smugly to yourself that he didn't handle that very well as everyone stares at him. Then Baba will go to investigate the said, muddy puddle.  You will think you are being a cool mum and that Baba should be at one with nature, investigating her natural surroundings, blah,blah,blah. Baba will then go wellies first into the puddle which is actually way deeper than you thought, and it nearly covers her wellies.  Everyone will then stare and Baba will cry that her wellies are dirty. You will then have to carry her and become covered in mud too.  So, to avoid all this aggro, just move her away, OK?.  

4. Always take nappy wipes and spare clothes out with you when you are potty training. ALWAYS. The one time you don't...will be the one time you need them. FACT.

5. It's all going to be OK.  You know when you sat Googling for an hour asking the internet (!!) if you were doing OK as mum? That night you couldn't sleep because you worried if you were doing it right? Well you are, I think.  I mean, I'm only two years into the future, but yes, you are doing fine.  Obviously don't get too ahead of yourself Laura, you're doing good. It's all going to be OK, hang on in there!   

That's all for today, and whilst this is my imaginary time travel letter I hope for anyone reading this that if you ever find yourself in any of the situations above, you will remember that one day you read a blog post, and then you take  a different course of action. Especially when it comes to swim nappies. 

Thank you so much for reading, and now its your turn to fess up! Have you done something as a mum that you wish you hadn't done and now look back with horror? Or maybe you don't have children but you did something that you now can't believe and you wish you could tell your younger self! Comments below please!




14 comments:

  1. I guess it's easy to be so much wiser after the event. My daughters are all grown-up now, and I cringe at some of the epic mistakes I made when they were little. Usually these happened when I was completely knackered after a crazy day at work and couldn't summon the energy to think straight! At least we learn from our mistakes!!
    Fab post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And thank you for stopping by! x

      Delete
  2. My two are years past the nappy stage now but if pushed I'd have happily used a swim nappy in a crisis -I didn't realise you couldn't! I know now though.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I am not totally crazy then if you would consider it! Thank you so much for reading x

      Delete
  3. I could be here all night listing the things I could tell myself three years ago. hahah on the swim diapers I have learned my own lesson on that one! lol It's always easier to tell ourselves after the math isn't it? Love your list. Think we all can relate to these. Thanks for linking up to Share with Me #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me smile. There are always things I think I should have done differently, but I know that there was always a reason for doing them at the time... even if they didn't pan out as I hoped (which is often!) Poor you and baba with the swim nappy though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...not our best moment!
      Thank you for stopping by x

      Delete
  5. Good tips hun! A swimming nappy makes a crap nappy nappy and vice versa! These clever sods inventing things we have to buy CURSE THEM! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely loved this and agree with every word, this will be so useful to others reading it, in fact forget extra change of clothes to other day and ended up having to buy some, such a pain! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Sorry to hear you had to buy clothes! I think it also reassuring to hear that parenting is a big learning curve and no one has it all figured out!
      Thanks for such a great linky x

      Delete
  7. God, hahaha! We all do these wee things that maybe we shouldnt have at the time but man...they worked for a while! Mine was one of my older ones wetting the bag, and I shamelessly put down a towel doubled up over the section and put them back in bed. IT WAS 2AM! Shame on me, lol! Great post, thanks for linking up! #MMWBH x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2am is a pretty rough time to be doing anything to be fair!
      Thanks for such a great linky! x

      Delete