Monday, 24 November 2014

A Phone Amnesty

A year ago I wouldn't have classed myself as a particular checker of the phone.  I could quite happily leave my phone under the bed all day and then retrieve it hours later to several texts and missed calls. Sometimes it would probably be easier for people to contact me via pigeon rather than my phone. I had hardly any apps and I only checked my emails when I could be bothered to turn on my laptop. 

How times have changed.  That little phone now contains my life. My email, Twitter, Instagram, What's App, The OK! app (I so love this app). My phone constantly buzzes and vibrates to inform me of likes, what's trending, messages, What's app messages, voucher codes, shopping deals, breaking news...you get the picture.  You don't look at the buzz and you feel you are missing something.  Look at the buzz and you don't even realise you're doing it. 

This blog post isn't anti-phones.  It just that I do catch myself looking on that little iPhone a bit too much for my liking. I caught myself checking out Kim K's outfit whilst Baba was eating her lunch the other day.  I mean how bad a mum am I? Annabel Karmel would have a fit.  Would I like it if Baba read a newspaper at the table instead of talking to me? Erm, nope.  So I should show her the same courtesy and manners back.  

Other times I'm looking at someone twirling around in their Prada shoes whilst I am on the floor cleaning up Weetabix from my carpet (I am sure Baba stashes it up her pyjama legs then drops it on the floor in little mounds in the style of the Great Escape).  But, surely I can wait a bit longer before giving their pic a thumbs up.

So I have made the decision to try and live in the woods and resort to message by carrier pigeon.  Only joking.  But I am going to try to make a conscious effort to reduce the amount of time I take a peek at my phone. I might even leave it under the bed for a morning.  I'm not that important so I'm sure without my online input the world will continue to turn.

But in all seriousness, I see my daughter watching me, and I wonder what she thinks as I'm on my phone.  As she gets older I don't want her permanently stuck to a mobile or laptop. I will keep you posted as to how my attempted phone amnesty goes, and if nothing else, I think it will make me think twice before scrolling through and clicking away. Yes, technology is wonderful and pretty amazing.  But its all about having that balance.  And alot of the time the most amazing stuff is happening on our side of that little screen, we just need to be present in the moment to see it. 

What do you think? I am panicking over nothing? Do you use your phone alot? Fancy joining my amnesty? Comments below please! And if you need me urgently between the hours of 12 and 4 then feel free to make the sound of a cuckoo and I will try and respond to your call!  

Thanks for reading, 




34 comments:

  1. I'm awful for being on my phone all the time, don't think I'm quite brave enough for an amnesty yet though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to be ready :-)
      Thank you for stopping by x

      Delete
  2. I don't want to say I am addicted to my phone, but I kinda am. I always have it with me and I always do a "Where's my phone!?" check because I am afraid of losing it lol! I see little kids addicted to their phones and I just want to take it away and make them go outside and play, just like I did when I was their age. I know when I wake up the first thing I do is check my phone... and the last thing I do when I go to bed is check my phone... I need to work on that and check it less during those times!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its so hard isn't it! And alot of the time you don't even know you are doing it! x

      Delete
  3. This is something I really need to work on as well. I feel like I am always tethered to my phone and/or laptop and I worry sometimes that it will effect the Princess negatively. On the other hand, I make sure there are a few times in the day when I step away from technology and focus just on her, even if only for a few minutes. I think balance is definitely key here.

    Additionally, as my mom always reminds me, she wasn't attached to us kids every single minute of the day either, although her distractions were a bit different as the technology wasn't there. It's important for kids to know that sometimes mommy has other things to do (even if it's "fun" stuff) and to learn how to entertain themselves as well. And that mommy's have things that they enjoy besides housework!!

    #thetruthabout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points made! Definitely agree that balance is the key! Thank you so much for reading x

      Delete
  4. Oh, I can relate to this, I would be lost without my phone... My daughter has started telling me to put it down though, which can't be a good sign! And, I do now leave it a different room so that I'm not distracted by notifications when I'm playing with her. They can wait :) I can't leave it alone for too long though...! #thetruthabout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea to do!
      Thanks for taking the time to read and comment x

      Delete
  5. Yep, it's become my one true companion since I got my iPhone in September - the first thing I look at in the morning and the last thing I look at at night!! My mum has criticised me for spending too much time looking at it but it is incredibly addictive! I think maybe there are times when I should be more focussed on the munchkins for sure... maybe I'll try to work on this addiction too! Thanks for linking up to #thetruthabout again Hon Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes come and join my amnesty!
      My pleasure...I adore your linky x

      Delete
  6. Yes, I'm awful for being on my phone and worry what example it sets my toddler. I think I might try and join you in a bit more phone free time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Come and join the amnesty movement! (Though I am finding its quite hard!). Thank you for reading x

      Delete
  7. Cuckooooo cuckkooooooo... !!
    I am totally with you on this, I fell into this trap for a while and felt awful. I got round it by turning off notifications on my phone for Twitter, FB etc so now I'm not so lured by it and actually do leave it in my bag quite a lot again. It's easy for the phone to rule your life if you let it, so good for you for going for the phone amnesty x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you called :-)
      Thats a really good point about adjusting the notifications actually!
      Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  8. Interestingly I've just upgraded my phone and had to re-install all the apps. Unlike with my last phone I've kept all all the push notifications to ensure I get notified about every tweet / email etc. It's cutdown the amount of time I spend on my ophone enormously because I only look at it when somehting comes thorugh...and rarely are the messages urgent. Sounds counterintuitive, but it has worked! All the best with your amnesty #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have found a way to cut down your time! By the looks of all the comments, I think everyone takes sneaky glances a bit too much!
      Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment x

      Delete
  9. I put my phone in a drawer when my daughter is around and only look when she isn't. If I need to do something with it I explain what it is so she knows I'm using it for a reason. It's hard sometimes but it also helps if I turn the ringer off, the vibration for an SMS or call is different to any others so I do respond to them. Good luck with your phone amnesty :)
    #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am absolutely terrible with my iPhone, though gradually I'm making little changes that help me use it a little less. I've disabled most notifications - or example now I only see the twitter ones when I choose to spend a bit of time on twitter rather than being sucked in whenever someone tweets me! I've started leaving my phone downstairs to charge overnight so it's not the first thing I look at in the morning, and most drastic of all, I've deleted my personal Facebook profile and created a new one just for running my blog page etc - I was wasting so much time on there before and without it I'm making a lot more effort to connect with friends and family in the flesh rather than online. Good luck with your amnesty - I think that finding the balance with technology is a lesson our generation will have to learn, and hopefully our children will manage it a little better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats a really good point you make about the next generation learning to balance new technology with 'real life'.
      Thank you so much for your comments x

      Delete
  11. I suddenly saw myself with always having a gadget in my hand. Like you I have lots of chores and the gadgets help me in doing them with less stress. But is it a view that I want my son to be. Your post is funny and yet made me ponder on this subject seriously. #mmwbh

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think we could all do with a little more time off our phones to be honest. And I am JUST as guilty as the next person. We're all a little bit addicted I think x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree.
      Thank you for stopping by x

      Delete
  13. Erm, yes! I'm so addicted, I deny it a lot of the time but it's true! I do try to keep it away from the dinner table (my husband is dreadful for checking emails during dinner!!). My eldest daughter will play on our phones every chance she gets and I do worry about how much time we all spend connected in some way to technology.
    As I work from home it, sometimes around my toddlers naps, I do find myself trying to do little bits here and there and not being totally present. I'm working on putting better boundaries in place.
    When did we all get so sucked in!!?
    Great post. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know! Its a funny one isn't it?!!
      Boundaries and balance are definitely the answer!
      Thanks so much for your comments x

      Delete
  14. Good luck on your phone amnesty! I check my phone quite regularly but can't at work so I am quite used to not being on it from 8am until 5.30 at night! We will have to see how it goes when I am at home more!

    Emma | frillsanddoodads.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I am addicted! I feel so bad, yet I still do it. Now I feel really guilty, well even more guilty than normal! Good luck hun #MMWBH x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I didn't want to make you feel more guilty! Its something we all do...its just trying to find that balance!!!
      Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  16. It's so easy to get addicted to the phone, and I can say this, because I check my phone every few minutes too! I really need to cut down on my phone time too, so thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem :-)
      Thanks for reading and stopping by x

      Delete
  17. You bring up a good point. I find myself drawn to the my phone more times than I want during the day. And now that my daughter is becoming a bit more conscious of her surroundings, and exploring, she too finds my phone fascinating at times (she tries to grab it from my hands). I definitely need to be more conscious of its use and set a good example of moderation for my daughter. Great post; it definitely got me thinking.

    Maria
    cmntsblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete