Friday, 7 November 2014

How honest are blogs?

The post that I was meant to write today I have had to change at the very last minute.  It was about a mascara that I had bought from a very cheap, well known supermarket.  I have to say the mascara was great and I was very surprised at how it made my lashes look.  What wasn't so great is after a day wearing it, my eyes started to feel sore and swollen.  And now here I am sat at my laptop with sore eyes and my first blogging dilemma. Do I post my original blog and omit the bit about a possible reaction like it never happened? Do I delete the post entirely? Or do I write the post and tell everyone the ugly truth about my reaction? 

I eventually went with none of the above and the post is in my draft folder (it was quite a good post and I didn't have the heart to delete it).  Omitting the truth on my blog just didn't feel right and I had this awful vision of women emailing me the world over telling me their eyes had swollen too and how could I dare recommend such a product.  But, I also didn't have the heart to give a companies product a big thumbs down. Just because I had reaction to the product does not mean everyone else will. And so it got me thinking about the integrity of blogs and how many other bloggers out there have had similar dilemma's.  How honest are blogs? 

It must be so easy to get sucked up into trying to get more coverage for your blog, trying to get big brands to notice you that your actual honesty can get a bit lost. I knew that if I posted my review (the good one) the company would probably tweet about my post, getting me lots of views. But it would mean not telling the whole truth about a product and that's not what my blog is about.  My blog is so very very small and I felt a pressure.  So I wonder what major bloggers pressures are like?

I really do think that the honesty of a blog is so integral.  Isn't that what makes a blog so interesting and readable? I would hate to think that any of the regular blogs I read aren't honest. It would change my opinion of them completely.  If I wanted to read an advertisement for a product I could just Google it.  What I really want is that person's thoughts and feelings on topics, products and life.  Not some PR spiel.  And I think that honesty reflects in the daily life blogs I like to read too.  I like the warts and all ones. The ones that tell me, yup, it's not all smiles, laughter and running through meadows y'know. 

So, I guess with my blog at the moment, I am omitting the products that I don't like or get on with and I'm raving and blogging about the ones that I do.  Maybe this will change in the future, I'm not sure, but for now that's what I'm going with.  And I guess that's the whole point of blogging isn't it? Being true to yourself. So I may have missed out on some good PR, but me and my swollen eyes feel alot happier pressing publish on this blog today. 

What do you think? Do you blog about bad products or service? Or do you just blog about the good ones and omit the bad? Have you ever felt your blog honesty has been compromised? I would be so interested to know your thoughts and comments below please!

Oh, and if you do feel sorry for me with my swollen eyes why don't you follow me on any of the links to your right? :-) 
As always thanks for reading and have a great weekend! 







17 comments:

  1. I am sorry your eyes are sore, have your tried soaking cotton wool in witch hazel and then having a little chill out with them on your eyes? (a medicinal lie down - sounds good)
    I think you are right to just say nothing about a product you are not sure about if possible. Imagine you are explaining to your children why you said what you said, I find for me that makes me check myself and what I say/don't say (in real life too, not just the blog world)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be giving the witch hazel a try!
      And that's a really good way of looking at things and deciding what to blog.
      Thank you so much for stopping by x

      Delete
  2. Ah your poor eyes! I am totally honest on my blog, but then I don't review anything, except my own life, ha ha! You could do a test and get your mates to try the mascara too - warning them that they may wake up with swollen peepers. I bet they'll be all over that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea actually...it's just deciding who to pick as my guinea pigs :-)
      Thanks so much for reading x

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about your eyes. I say blog the good part but also mention the reaction you had with your eye. It all about being honest. You may not be the only one wo reacted to the product and if the company read it they can then make a change in the products... I hope I make sense. Blogging about it is like feed back for brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-)
      And yes, it is important brands get feedback. I haven't had the courage to press the 'publish' button yet though! Thanks so much for your view x

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear you had a bad reaction to the mascara! I don't think I would have put it up either. I don't like putting brands down but idk, not every review can be a good one! But I still don't think I would post it.

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a tricky one isn't it?!
      I've not hit the publish button as yet!! x

      Delete
  5. I have this same dilemma last night till this morning. Something happened to me that is involving the police. And I dont know how much I can say or not say. But I really want to share it cuz my heart would explode already for keeping it just within me. I tried writing something that is emotional and yet not giving so much details. This is the part where I want to be honest with my emotion and yet trying to keep the post clean for me not to get in trouble. More trouble than I already am. #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you've had such a dilemma.
      It's very tricky about what to include and what to omit on your blog. I hope everything works out ok for you x

      Delete
  6. It is definitely tricky and I think you have done the right thing not publishing the original. I have not had anything bad to say so far in my blogging journey and so I cannot say what I would do until faced with that decision. I think if it was something you were asked to review I would email the company and explain the problem. However, if it was just something you bought yourself I would be inclined to not say anything at all. Definitely a tricky one! #brillblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. At the moment I still don't feel comfortable with publishing the post! x

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I know, I really like to read other people's honest reviews. I just found this so tricky. Maybe as I get more experience blogging I will feel more comfortable with the issue! x

      Delete
  8. Ouch, your poor eyes!
    I think I would have done the same as you, and simply not published the post. Though I completely understand what you mean about the pressures and the desire to get more traffic, I could never rave about something I didn't truly like either. Plus, readers can probably tell when a review is not completely honest so you could even end up putting people off your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Completely agree with your points. It's very tricky!
      Thanks so much for reading and stopping by x

      Delete
  9. I think you did exactly the right thing. I have a policy to always remain 100% honest or there is not credibility in any of your reviews or even the stuff that you write about your family. I don't want to read those kind of blogs and I'm pretty darn sure no one else does either! Good for you x

    ReplyDelete