Monday, 17 November 2014

Pushchair Wars

Hmmmm, I don't want you to get the wrong impression of me.  I'm not a trouble maker.  Honest.  Trouble just seems to find me.  And in this case, it found me and my daughter's pushchair. 

Now, maybe I should start by saying that I am not exactly the best pushchair driver.  I may or may not have caught people's heels, ran over their feet and once nearly took a pensioner out.  But, I can assure you these were all genuine mishaps and I profusely apologised afterwards. I even called a cab for the pensioner so they could go to A&E (joke!). But, I feel now my daughter is two and a half, I have earned a proficiency in pushchair management and I can expertly do a quick three point turn single handedly, whilst simultaneously keeping an eye on the sale item I need to get to before the other woman does, all whilst singing the wheels on the bus. 

But, alas. This tale is not about how sh*t-hot I am at driving the pushchair.  No sir.  This is about the goodwill of the shopping population.  Sorry. Did I say goodwill? I meant fury and hate towards pushchair drivers! I popped into town last week and I got cut up, bashed, tutted at and blatantly blocked. My crime? Having a pushchair.  I thought we were gearing up for the season of goodwill? More like blood spill. 

I completely understand that the shops are busy. That there isn't much room.  That people are busy.  And the last thing people want is me, the pushchair, and my daughter with her arms like an aeroplane, very helpfully touching every single thing that her little hands can touch (read: EVERY SINGLE THING...this includes walking sticks, shop merchandise, bags and furry coats especially).  I get that.  But please. Give me a break. 

I am a human too.  I am trying to do my Christmas shopping too.  Did I already say I am human too? As I was in one shop, the queue to get out of the shop suddenly backed up.  A cashier piped up loudly that pushchairs were the bane of her life!!!!  I wasn't even causing the kerfuffle! Someone had dropped their wallet in front of me!  So I whizzed round, lifted my daughter up, who then karate kicked the woman in the face in the style of Kill Bill.  Ok. That didn't happen. But I may have thought it.  Though I do not condone any sort of violence towards shop assistants.  But how mean of her to say that!  

Where are peoples' understanding and love? They have clearly traded them in for the most wanted Frozen merchandise. 

If anything, I think shoppers should applaud me.  And maybe cheer as I stroll by. Yeah you go Laura!  Yes, you can do it! I mean I not only have to remember my shopping list because my daughter ate it in the first shop.  But I also have to run from one side of the shopping centre to the other so my daughter can go to the toilet (she does this at the precise mathematical moment that I am the furthest away from them- the girl is a genius).  I am also steering, dodging people trying to get me to switch energy suppliers, working out what to actually buy and thinking what to cook for tea.  Go me! 

So please, let's all show a little love to one another this Christmas time.  Yes, we are all busy.  Yes, it can be stressful.  But let's give a break to the mum's with pushchairs. And because if you don't I may just unleash my inner Kill Bill moves and Baba will drop kick you out of the shop. After, that is, she has stroked your furry coat.(Not that I condone violence in any way). 
Happy shopping everyone! :-) 





30 comments:

  1. Oh wow. Now you see this is why I have devised every single way under the sun to avoid shopping trips with my two - I do my food shop online with Tesco click and collect, I do my christmas shopping either online or I nip to the shops while my mum kindly babysits (usually during two-year-old's nap), or I wait til my lunch hours from work! I forget how mean people can be and some of them were young once too and had children of their own. Hone those ninja skills Laura - you may need them yet :-) Thanks for linking up to #thetruthabout X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider my ninja skills officially honed :-)
      Thanks for such a fab linky x

      Delete
  2. I think it's unfair to expect us moms to get any shopping done without pushchairs! Keep going :) #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!
      And thank you so much for stopping by and commenting x

      Delete
  3. I love this. bless you. It's so unfair. I am even worse with my double stroller. Shop owners and shoppers alike hate me with a passion. They sneer at my side by side tots with venom. But I am human and have a right to shop just as they do. I try to ignore it but sometimes I just want to scream you can see I barely can push this myself get out of my way! lol Selfish but true. I say it in my head and smile. Thanks for linking up to Share With Me. So funny. So true. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take me hat off to you with a double stroller! I really would take people out if I had one of those!!!!
      Great linky as always! Thank you x

      Delete
  4. A melting ice cream held in the hand of your enthusiastic toddler might create a very quick path for you on your travels. No one wants to look like they have been the victim of a low flying bird on their lunch break. Only kidding of course. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally feel your pain with this one, people can be so mean. Now because I'm a kind, community spirited kind of gal, there's no way I ever would have 'accidentally' rammed someone very rude with my buggy.....ahem.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he,he! No,no,no of course you wouldn't :-)
      Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  6. This is so funny and I totally get it! I have to catch a bus to get to the shops so I'm just pissing people off left, right and centre!!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-)
      Thank you for reading and stopping by x

      Delete
  7. I could have written this myself. What makes me mad is that alot of people seem to forget they had kids themselves and buggys at one point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am simply trying to walk with a pram. That is all! :-)
      Thank you
      x

      Delete
  8. This made me laugh! Sounds like you got a bit more than you bargained for when you left the house that day... You are right though people should remember what it was like to have a buggy. Fab post #mmbh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha this has put a smile on my face!! People do tend to forget how hard it can be to get around with a pram!! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is so hard especially with so many obstacles...i.e any object that happens to cross my path!!!
      Thank you for stopping by x

      Delete
  10. I've been actively researching this and I would say every third person I see when I'm out and about is either pregnant, pushing a pushchair/baby-wearing or walking with a toddler.

    So, why do people look at women/men with a pushchair as if they have just descended from Mars?

    I was once really struggling in a tight entrance in a charity shop and a man was standing watching as if he genuinely couldn't process what he was seeing. IT'S CALLED A PUSHCHAIR.

    x

    #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He,he! I know. It does feel like I landed from Mars the way some people look at me! You are so right!
      x

      Delete
  11. It is hard to be a parent, mother and I think that we could all use some support and not weird looks from people. Saying that there are some parents too w/ pushchairs who expects so much from other people. I think in general as you say its Christmas lets all give each other kindness!

    #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly...a bit of kindness never hurt anyone!
      Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  12. I am SO with you on this!! Which is why I am really considerate of pushchair pushers. I have to say that I don't think the shops help - they don't really cater towards pushchairs properly! Thank you for linking to PoCoLo :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      And thank you for such a great linky! x

      Delete
  13. Totally agree with you here, they really do make the isles so narrow and everything is within the child's reach, we mums have to shop too. My particular favourite pushchair related moment was on a busy victorian craft weekend near us a woman deliberately stepped in front of me as I was walking along with the crowd and got her heel bashed by my buggy as I was not expecting it, she gave me the filthiest look as if it was my fault and I just ignored it, the bloke next to me piped up and said 'it wasn't her fault love, you should look where you were going' the woman then started to storm off and tripped over a parked wheelchair, I had to try so hard to stop myself laughing!! #sharewithme and pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is hilarious! I think the word here is 'karma'!!!!
      Thanks so much for stopping by x

      Delete
  14. I have sincere buggy rage mainly because for some reason at this time of year people lose all sense of decency & politeness. For some reason there is a fire up everyones butts and they give a damn only for themselves. I hate taking my youngest out in her pushchair at this time of year :( Thanks for linking up with #MMWBH x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!
      Thanks for such a fab linky! x

      Delete