Friday, 5 December 2014

Blogmas - 05.12.14

I have to say, I'm not the most skilled at making things or anything that involves the word "craft".  You know those lovely pictures you see of handmade items and crafts? My attempts usually look like my dog did them and then they were mauled by a bear.  So when my friend asked me to try a Christmas wreath making class with her, I was a little nervous to say the least. 

Luckily for me, we had a lovely teacher who was very talented at wreath making and also very patient with someone who was a bit clueless.  The class was run by Siddals who are a plant and craft shop at Cromford Mills in Derbyshire.  And if you have never heard of Cromford Mills, its a world heritage site where Richard Arkwright built the first ever water powered cotton spinning mill (fact!).  And whilst that is where my knowledge of history stops, you can check out the Cromford Mills website here and its definitely worth a visit if you are in the area. 

So onto our wreath making. Baba tagged along too, and minus some shouting as soon as the instructor started talking, she was a very good girl.  She 'helped' by passing me copious amounts of pine-cones and then she played shop with them afterwards.  All good fun!!!

We started off with a ring of straw that had moss wrapped over it and this was our base for the wreath.  At this point I thought how the hell is this going to look like something we want to hang from our door.  I was worried it was going to look more like a deterrent to callers rather than a welcoming Christmas wreath.  


We then attached foliage in small sections to the base working around the circle and using wire to secure the pieces in place. 


(Baba plotting how she can yank the wreath from the table). 



So the above picture is with the foliage in place, and then we added pine-cones (what was left of them as Baba was playing shop with quite a few of them.  I think she tried to charge one of the other ladies money for taking them) and also we added pretty flowers (no, I have no idea of the names of ANY plants so I am sticking with this description!!). And ta-dah!!!! The finished wreath!!!


Whilst it is a Christmas miracle in itself that my wreath looks like, well, like a wreath, I am so proud of it!!  All visitors to my house will be interrogated on their entrance and made to appreciate my wreath in all its wreathy glory! 



If you have the chance definitely join a workshop to make your own wreath! It was soooo much fun! All materials were provided and it was £12 per person for this class with Siddals, their website is here. Huge thanks to them for helping me make the wreath and for their patience and amazing teaching skills!!  If you live nowhere near Derbyshire then have a look on the web as I'm sure there will be some wreath making classes near you this month!!!

So that was our morning.  Baba is now absolutely exhausted from all her hard work (!) and is having a snooze.  I'm off to a works Christmas party tonight and I will update you tomorrow with how the night went (!) and for a special get ready with me blog.  

Thanks for reading and be sure to click any of the boxes to your right to keep up to date with Blogmas 2014 where I am blogging every single day until Christmas!! See you nice and early tomorrow! 





post signature

12 comments:

  1. This is great! I really need to get my craft on and make some things! #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great, it looks amazing. I'm one of those people who knows what I want in my head but getting it out into some physical semblance is beyond me! #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am completely the same!
      Thanks for stopping by! x

      Delete
  3. It looks amazing! You did such a good job :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is a beautiful wreath and it must feel so satisfying knowing that you have achieved this as well. Well done. Thank you for linking to #PoCoLo :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the lack of the craft gene; and I'm off to a 'natural Christmas' craft event today to make wreaths!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh good luck!!! You must post some pics with your finished article!!! x

      Delete
  6. You wreath looks amazing! I so want to go to a class to learn how to make one of these properly. Next year. There is ALWAYS next year! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, there is always next year!!! x

      Delete