Thursday, 11 December 2014

Blogmas - 11.12.14

Where does your mental health come on your list of things to do this month? With only 2 weeks to go before the big day (gulp!) if you are anything like me, your mental health is probably somewhere waaaaay down the list of things this Christmas.  Hang on, lets be honest.  If you are anything like me, its not even on your long list of things. I just never really think about it.  Until that is, I need to.  Last month, I was having real difficulty getting to sleep. I had list after list of things to do, things to plan, worries and thoughts all running round in my head the moment my head touched the pillow.

I had read about an app for your phone called Headspace after reading an article on how more and more people are turning to meditation in such a fast paced world.  Now, my previous experience with mediation was basically I have the concentration power of a gnat and instead of meditating I spend the time thinking how I SHOULD be meditating.


But, I decided to give it a try anyway. You download the free app to your mobile and then you listen to the app for 10 minutes per day for 10 days.  Now wait, before you start thinking of sitting crossed legged and umming and ahhhing, this is not that and there isn't any pan pipes or ocean sounds to be heard.  Its a guy who chats and tells you what to do, and basically its just about sitting still, breathing and taking time out of your day to actually be present and think about yourself.  


It wasn't until I actually listened to the app I realised how little I do this.  How days go by before I even consider how I am feeling or I just take the time out to relax and just be. I won't to lie to you. Taking the time to just listen to the app was half of my battle. I was always too busy, and sitting still for 10 minutes was apparently impossible. However, I eventually got around to listen to it, and I am so so glad I did.  The night I listened to it I actually felt really relaxed and I fell into a really lovely deep sleep. Now you may call this a placebo effect, and yes, that might have been the case, but who cares! Because it worked for me and I felt all the better for it. 

The app does actually have lots of science behind it, and if you want more information or to download the free take ten programme you can check that out here.  The app is something that I keep coming back to, and I guess that is a good start in recognising the importance of looking after your mind, being more mindful and, well, I guess doing a bit of meditation.  I think our lives today are so fast paced, that you can lose track of these basic thoughts and skills.  And even if the app just lets me know that actually things are OK and gives me a time-out, well, that can only be a good thing in my eyes. 

I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on this.  Is this something you would try? Do you ever think about your mental health? Comments below please!

Thank you for reading and I will see you nice and relaxed tomorrow for Blogmas day 12!




post signature

3 comments:

  1. I was first introduced to mindfullness meditation by lecturers at uni- it's actually starting to become quite a big thing in the medical field, and it was perfect for teaching students on a stressful course! I started using meditation videos on youtube and I definitely notice an effect, even when I'm not feeling very stressed at all. Life can be a bit of whirlwind at times (especially Christmas!) and taking ten minutes out of your day to reset yourself makes a real difference :)
    jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes me a long time to fall asleep because I just lay there and worry about everything and make 20 lists in my head... this app sounds really interesting. I'm going to check it out!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely worth a little look and listen! x

      Delete