Sunday, 14 December 2014

Blogmas - 14.12.14

My love affair with fake tan has been a very, very long one. I can remember applying fake tan when I was back at college (that's about fifteen years ago now) and I can recall applying my fake tan for the very first time.  And then feeling the need to top up with bronzing pearls. Yup, you guessed it. I looked like an extra for Willy Wonka's chocolate factory that day.  Luckily for everyone, my orange days are behind me and I often get asked what products I use. So today, as we are now well and truly into the party season, I thought I would share my fake tan regime with you all. (If you prefer the English Rose look, maybe look away now!). 

Before I had my daughter, I would spend a considerable amount of time messing about with fake tan.  My one of choice was Xen-tan.  I loved its colour which is very natural and not at all orangey.  It has an olive undertone, so you do really get a very natural golden glow. It is a little bit pricey and costs around £28.99 for a tube. But, if you have the time and you are a seasoned fake tanner, it is so worth it. 

After having my daughter however, I could barely get dressed some days, let alone fake tan.  I did try it one morning and then forgot to do my hands.  I took that as a sign that I needed something a bit more fool proof.  Enter, Dove Summer Glow.


This stuff is fantastic and I now swear by it. I apply it 1-2 times a week, and it gives my skin a lovely tan and also leaves my skin feeling soft (I do have quite dry skin).  Its also a complete bargain for just £4.99 and its often on offer in Boots.  I buy the darker shade, but there is a lighter shade too.  You can also buy it with or without a shimmer. Personally I buy the one without a shimmer as I feel with the shimmer I pretty much resemble Edward Cullen.  So now onto application. 

First things first, you need to prepare you skin before applying any fake tan.  And the best thing that I have found is using a massage / exfoliating sponge in the shower.  You can pick these sponges up from Aldi in a pack of three for around £2.  Just use the sponge with your normal shower gel and it gets rid of any dead skin cells and leaves you with a nice and even skin base from which to start.  I also use the sponge daily as I find this helps in keeping the tan fading even too.  


So, after getting out of the shower I make sure my skin is totally dry and then I work my way up from my legs.  I don't use a mitt, I just use my hands.  I apply quite a small amount to my feet and carefully rub it around my ankles, and then I just apply it everywhere else as I would a normal moisturiser.  I take care to apply the product right up to under my chin and behind my ears. 

I then wash my hands thoroughly with soap and water and dry them. I then apply about a five pence sized blob on the back of one of my hands and rub the back of my hands together. I then rub the back of my hands along the inner sides of each wrist so the product has now been applied everywhere but without using the palms of my hands for the last part of the application. 

For my face, I use the L'oreal Sublime Bronze facial dry mist. Its an aerosol spray and again, I find this gives such a natural colour. I apply this to my face once I have cleansed and moisturised. I then close my eyes and gently spray my face, moving from left to right and up and down.  I then take a piece of tissue and wipe any product off from my eyebrows.  I also gently blot my hairline to avoid any unsightly lines. The spray is around £8, but you can often find it on offer. I do have quite sensitive skin on my face and I have never had any problems with this spray. 


The tan on both of these products develops gradually and if I was going on a night out or had an event I would apply the products the night before.  Now I think it goes without saying that if it is your first time fake tanning then always have a practice run a week before.  And a little goes a long way.  I think sometimes people slather it on, but you really only need a very thin layer, unless you are going for the orange look and in that case slather away!!! 

I wish you all an orange free Christmas and please let me know if you try any of these products or tips out! 

Thanks for reading and see you tomorrow for Blogmas day 15!




post signature

4 comments:

  1. I love the Dove Summer Glow- it is so subtle but gives just the right amount of tan. I've never used proper fake tan, I'm too scared of it going wrong!
    Jennifer x
    Ginevrella | Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree...the Dove Summer Glow is such a winner! x

      Delete
  2. Once I tried the Dove Summer Glow and I loved it. I think I have to ask Santa to bring me one for Christmas :)
    xOrsi
    http://szkorso.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried a self tanning product (I'm Mexican so I'm already tan lol) but I remember a lot of girls in high school used to tan but they all looked like Oompa Loompas! Hopefully by now they have learned how to properly tan ;)

    I do love dove products though! Their hair care line is amazing :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete