Monday, 15 December 2014

Blogmas - 15.12.14

Are you counting down to Christmas? Not long to go now!! Christmas day really holds so much anticipation and excitement for us all, but sometimes I think by anticipating an event so much we can miss the moments that are happening right now, right under our noses. 

I thought of this whilst training for my half marathon in October.  I collapsed on the sofa one night and was telling my husband how nervous and stressed I was.  I explained that if I could just get the half marathon out of the way then I would be able to relax and I wouldn't feel so worried.  A few days after I had completed the half-marathon I sat on the sofa once again and told my husband how if I could just get something else done that was on my mind then I wouldn't feel so stressed.  It wasn't until he reminded me that actually we had already had a very similar conversation, that I realised I spend alot of my time unknowingly wishing time away. That I anticipate future moments and I always anticipate a calmer and less stressed me, when in actual fact, I am always worrying about something or another. 

I excitedly anticipate nights out.  I daydream of having more money and becoming an international blogging sensation (hey, you gotta have a dream).  And don't we all daydream and think if only we had a bigger house/more money/a smaller waist/more children/ insert wishful thinking here, our lives would be perfect and we would be happier. But I bet if I gave you all of those things right now, given a couple of hours you would have a new list of things to anticipate, wish for and worry about.  

I am certainly not saying that anticipation and looking forward is a bad thing.  I just think sometimes we get caught up in that anticipation and we sometimes lose the enjoyment of the moment we are actually in.  Sometimes it isn't until time has passed that we look back and realise how wonderful that moment actually was. 

For some reason now I'm a mum, I have this realisation that floats about in the back of my brain that life is so so precious.  I'm afraid I don't have all the answers (obviously), and this realisation to enjoy the moment is sometimes only fleeting.  I find I can't keep hold of it.  One minute I have the thought of how wonderful this life is and just being present in the moment, and then the next I'm grumpy and wishing to be tucked up in bed with my pjs on. 

As I said, I do not have the answers.  But I am trying to find that balance of anticipation and being present.  This moment right here right now, is just as important as the moment that I am waiting for. And today, the 15th December is just as important as the 25th December (albeit with less presents), and today I am going to do my very best to enjoy it.    


10 comments:

  1. I love this post. Yes, anticipation can be lovely when you're waiting for something nice to happen but it is also important to stop and enjoy the little moments whilst they are happening too. Hope you manage to find that balance :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more. Finding the balance is the tough bit...some days I've got it and others days I haven't!!!
      Thank you so much for stopping by x

      Delete
  2. I find that sometimes the anticipation of good things ends up being better than the thing itself. I also succumb to anxiety and get dragged down sometimes and I find that as a mum of small children you can do often get wound up almost to breaking point. That's when I use my mantra (from The Happiness Project) "the days are long but the years are short" - it's amazingly effective at turning your thinking around on a dime! Thanks for linking this week even though I forgot to tweet! Xx #thetruthabout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do love the Happiness Project Sam. Such a good mantra to use!!! Love your linky!! Wouldn't miss it! :-) x

      Delete
  3. Yes, today, now is just as important as any day or moment. It is a moment we will never get back, and it is crucial to keep this at the back of your mind always. I find that when things are built up in my head (like important dates or occasions), they tend to fall short of the hype once they arrive. I am a chronic worrier, so totally understand the mindset of constantly worrying/thinking about the next thing, or the 'what ifs'. A great post. Hope you enjoy the rest of the week and weekend! (o:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and glad to hear I'm not the only one. Yes, sometimes the actual event really does not live up to the hype. At all!!!
      Thank you for taking the time to read and comment x

      Delete
  4. Sometimes, I have noticed that the anticipation of something is often more exciting that the actual event. And other times, when I don't anticipate something to be good, life surprises me and I end up having the best time!!

    Before I had the Twinkles, I spent so much of my life looking to the future. Now they're here, I can honestly say I love living in the present. So called, as they say, because it is a gift.

    I still worry about stuff but definitely enjoy the moment more, these days X #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, totally agree.
      Thank you for your comments! x

      Delete
  5. Fab post and you sound so like me, I said this morning that 2015 is more about just 'being' for me. I'm so grateful for everything and find it quite easy to switch off when we are away but the in between stuff can feel so busy and overwhelming, the incessant juggle! Definitely need more calm! Thanks for linking up to #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a tricky one to balance!!
      Thank you for taking the time to read and comment x

      Delete