Wednesday, 21 January 2015

The one about boobs

Ahh boobs. They're everywhere aren't they?  Almost daily they are in the press. From a woman apparently waving them around her head in a posh restaurant whilst breastfeeding, to a woman breastfeeding in the swimming baths or maybe even the ten year old that is still breastfed. Then there are the mum's who dare not to use their boobs to feed their baby. And then there's the mum's that dare do.  The women who's tops are too low.  The woman who has no boobs. The woman who has huge boobs. And if you haven't quite had enough of boobs yet, there's always page three where you can see pictures of them, just so you definitely know what they look like. Today, I heard on the news that the British tabloid, The Sun, are no longer going to be printing pictures of topless women on their page three, and you know what? I actually felt compelled to write a blog post to mark the occasion. 


The Sun newspaper, apparently (thanks Google), has a daily circulation of around 2.2 million copies.  That's alot of copies. That's alot of readers.  What I find interesting is that up until this week, you could open this newspaper and see a picture of a topless woman.  And for me, it really isn't about the page three model.  If you want to model with your top off, then that's your free choice and decision. Page three to me, represented boobs as being primarily for male gratification. 

I find it funny that some men (not all) are happy to stare at boobs in a newspaper, but at the same time they are agog when you use one to actually nourish and feed an infant. Especially near Nigel Farage.  And for the record, as a mum who breastfed, I can honestly say I never once stood up in a restaurant and waved them about for all to see. Quite frankly, I have no intention of showing the world my boobs, and even if I wanted to, I didn't have the time, I had a screaming baby wanting to be fed.   

The same men overlook the bit about that boob providing everything a baby needs for the first six months of that little ones life.  That makes boobs pretty amazing to me. Alot more amazing than just getting them out. But it's not just about breastfeeding.  Page three, to me, represents the notion that boobs are there to be leered at.  It represents those wolf whistles you get on the street, those comments when you are out and when you don't know where to look. That notion that you are just a body.  The notion that all you are is how you look. 

Will this mark a change in people's views of the female body? I think changing page three will change nothing overnight, but I hope it goes some way to society seeing the person beyond the boobs. And maybe, just maybe, it starts the way for woman to no longer be objectified by society.  That woman aren't 'just' boobs. In fact we aren't 'just' anything.  

How would I even begin to explain page three to my toddler? Well, I just wouldn't. But what I do hope for my daughter is that when she is older, she can walk down the street without wolf whistles, without feeling embarrassed. I hope she can feel respected by society as the clever and intelligent girl that I know she will be.  So much more than her appearance.  And so so much more than a pair of boobs. 



post signature
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

36 comments:

  1. Funny how a simple body part can be so amazing. After having had 5 kids, I'm still amazed at the female body and how awesome it is! I think the world is becoming a lot more friendly to breastfeeding in public, which is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes completely agree Jenny. Thank you for your comments x

      Delete
  2. Well said Laura. I find it sad that it took the Sun until 2015 to stop publishing page three (although I have heard today that they have pictures of models frolicking about in their tiny bikinis instead...). As for the breastfeeding debate, (and although I don't have any children of my own), I find it sad that people get outraged by breastfeeding when it is something so natural. Hopefully things are improving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beccy and I think they are now running page three again!!! ARGH! x

      Delete
  3. This is a great post; it made me think and I agree with you, although I hadn't really thought about like that before. The photo made me laugh - although it did make me want to draw a dot in each of the o's! I am thirty honestly :) x #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He,he!!
      I hadn't thought of that :-) x

      Delete
  4. Laura I love this and so true. I completely agree. So many are all freaking out about breastfeeding in the media yet they share boobs on page three which I didn't know about until I moved to england and was mortified that this was allowed. lol Bye bye page three I say. Thanks for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fab fab post and hooray to no more page 3! Xx #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab post huni, and I agreed entirely ! x #ShareWithMe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! #brilliantblogposts
    I had a breastfeeding/boob incident myself recently http://blog.mummyfever.co.uk/2014/12/when-did-breastfeeding-your-baby-become.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear! Will pop over and take a look at your post! x

      Delete
  8. I love this post, you are so right. So many people are happy to have a pair of boobs spread out on their breakfast table (obvs not literally, well maybe some but that's a different story altogether!) but then get offended when a woman breast feeds in public So many women & celebrities show more boob when actually wearing clothes than breast feeding mothers, it's crazy!

    Gym Bunny Mummy | Bloglovin’ | Facebook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep completely true....it just doesn't make sense does it?! x

      Delete
  9. Great post, boobs are pretty amazing and should never be offensive to either sex, whether they are being used to breast feed, or on page three.

    #BrilliantBlogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you...though I would prefer if page three would completely disappear! Thank you for sharing your comments x

      Delete
  10. Fantastically written post, however, I personally have never had a problem with Page 3; women earning money, being proud of their bodies, knowing that people will be looking at them - sounds like strong women to me. Also, do we now stop women's mags from publishing posters of men in their trunks (how many times have we said "Phwwoarrr" when we've seen Beckham, McCoughney, etc.....?) They're just boobs! I've sometimes worn a low cut top knowing the image it sends out and I bet loads of other women have done so too so I can't complain that men view boobies as sexy when I've worn clothes that encourage that. I'm not saying this to be controversial and hope I don't get lynched but they are just boobies!!! Like I said, great piece of writing hun x #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thank you for sharing your views. I agree with some of the points you raise though for me, I think page three brings with it views and attitudes that people then apply to other woman and its that which I have a problem with.
      Really appreciate your thoughts! x

      Delete
  11. I sadly shall never get the chance to be regarded as a pair of boobs, despite the best efforts of M&S scientifically padded bras! My tomboy niece announced recently: 'I want my bust to look like Auntie's when I grow up so it doesn't show.'

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww boobs are so old .. Humans have them since immemorial and yet its causing lots of stirs, debates, complains, discussions. Amazing part of the body and so deserves all this attention =)


    #ShareWithMe #Brillblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep they are certainly causing controversy! x

      Delete
  13. Well said, I totally agree. It's funny how boobs are fine on display as a sexual object but get them out to feed your child and my lord the whole world has such a negative opinion on it. Well not everyone of course but quite a lot of people. In fact my friend said to me the other week do people view you differently because you breastfeed and I said not that I know of, however she said she'd told her friend I was breastfeeding and they called it disgusting!! Crazy woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is just plain rude!! I'm shocked someone would say that!!!
      Thanks for taking the time to read and comment x

      Delete
  14. Brilliant post. The double standards around boobs as a sexual thing and boobs being used for the purpose they are biologically created for never ceases to amaze me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Written absolutely perfectly! That is all. #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Franki that's really kind! x

      Delete
  16. The objectification of women is sickening. So glad p3 has gone. Naturalising breast is key-I made a film about it for Best Beginnings year ago-http://vpsarias.co.uk/portfolio/best-beginnings/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow just popped over to take a look. Best Beginnings really do such amazing work!
      x

      Delete
  17. Yes - I can't stand the double-standard of boobs ok in a national newspaper, boobs feeding a baby - which ultimately is what they're for - not ok. We really need to get over the sexualisation of every instance of the baring of naked flesh. Great post xxx #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post — the irony of page 3 V the breast feeding debate is just staggering isn't it? Talk about double standards! I'll never forget a woman at my work, who had brought her newborn in to show everyone, looking at me like I was an alien when I asked her if she was breastfeeding.

    'Good lord, no!' she said 'My breasts are purely for my husbands entertainment. I don't want them to go all saggy — or put him off them either!'. Wow. Words failed me then and still now...

    If that's the view of some women, there really is no hope.

    Although the end of Page 3 is a start. #brillblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, though I now hear they have brought the page three back!!! URGH!!!!
      Thanks for reading and stopping by x

      Delete