Monday, 12 January 2015

When bad cakes happen to good people

This incident took place last Saturday.  Mr Bee was busy tearing the carpet up from the stairs (we are redecorating) and I was entertaining Baba.  She has had a pretend mixer and cake set for Christmas and her favourite thing to do is for the both of us (I have to be fully participating...no watching from the sidelines-its a bit like Master Chef), to make 'carrot cakes'.  And whilst I love my little girl dearly, after the fifth time of making 'carrot cakes', I was wanting to stick my head in the oven.  So, being the super mum that I am (ha,ha!), I suggested we make some carrot cakes. For REAL!

Baba squealed with delight and ran to get her apron whilst I rummaged in the cupboards and prayed I had some carrots.  And that my friends is where I went wrong.  I am no Nigella.  And normally when I have to rummage around the cupboards it means I haven't got the right ingredients.  And this means that I shouldn't be cooking whatever it is I am trying to.   



Did this deter us? Hell no. I found the carrots.  Then I realised I had only half the amount of self raising flour I needed.  I made up the full amount with plain flour and whacked in some baking powder too. Surely that would make it rise? It does get worse.  Then I realised I only had dark muscavado sugar instead of light muscavado sugar.  I mean, there can't be that much difference between the two can there? The dark sugar got thrown into the bowl (literally, Baba was helping mix the ingredients, so I had to fish the packet out and measure it out again).




Whilst Baba loved stirring all the ingredients in, little did she know her mother is absolutely clueless going 'freestyle' in the kitchen. Still, the mixture looked OK (ish) and we put it in the oven. When the time was up, the cake looked OK (ish), just maybe a little flat. To decorate, the recipe called for icing sugar (which I had), and orange juice (which I didn't have). Hmmm. I improvised and used the juice of a tangerine and we decorated the cake.  I know, as if it wasn't bad enough already.  


It was time for Baba's lunch and I had promised her a piece of the 'cake' after her lunch.  Note to all: never let your child see a cake BEFORE they have eaten their lunch.  Baba screamed throughout lunch, taking half a bite of her sandwich and then refusing to eat anymore. I had already promised her the cake.  Oh bloody hell. 



And bloody hell the cake was awful. Baba didn't seem to mind too much and munched away.  I think she was just overjoyed she had got her mitts on the cake.  My poor husband muttered that he couldn't finish his piece and I just felt sick.  Clearly it makes a big difference not using the right flour, sugar and using a tangerine. Can you die from carrot cake poisoning? 

I now have this vision of Baba in years to come, going to her school fete with a carrot cake her mum made and they end up using it to 'bat the rat' or using it as a ball to knock someone off their stool so they get dowsed in water. It serves me right for not playing 'pretend carrot cake' again!  

Any recipe disasters you would like to share? Go on...make me feel a little better! Comments below please!!!

Oh, and I was going to include the recipe but I feel BBC Good Food may be offended by its inclusion!!!




post signature
BakedPotato Mummy

36 comments:

  1. This has really made me chuckle. Great improvisation though. The cake looks lovely ha! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe! And this is why I use the packet cake mixes....lol Betty Crocker saves me every time....Good effort though x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The effort was certainly there...just a shame about the lack of skill!!! I think its now packets a-go-go!! x

      Delete
  3. I love how you manfully kept on going despite not having all the ingredients to hand. At least you produced something and Baba loved it - I would have just given up at the first hurdle. Well, let's be completely honest, I would not have offered to cook to begin with - good on you for going that extra step Laura!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I think it may have been a mistake to keep going, but oh well!!! We can only learn from our mistakes :-) x

      Delete
  4. Oh this is so funny, I'm sitting at my desk chuckling away to myself!

    I love to cook, but have had a lot of disasters in the past. One cake was so thin, that we could play frisbee with it (it was also lined with egg shells. Delicious), and when we were living in London, I went through a stage of cooking cakes that were raw in the middle. I would leave them to cool, and coildn't understand why it was sinking. Only to lift it up, it to collapse, and cake batter went everywhere. I blame the oven entirely.

    Beccy || Bluebell & Bumpkin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your cakes always look amazing so its reassuring to hear you have had some disasters too!!! Onwards and upwards!!! x

      Delete
  5. I can totally understand why you thought that this was going to be a masterpiece and your toddler screamed the entire way through lunch....it looks amazing! Oh how looks can deceive :( Very funny incident and quite refreshing for a blogger to admit to making a crap cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I know-I feel this blogpost is in a sea of recipes of the perfect cake...but we can't all be Nigella can we? (Well- I'm clearly not!!) x

      Delete
  6. oh no!! I'm sorry it tasted bad. it doesn't LOOK too bad at all. I just use cake boxes haha

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be very glad you didn't have to taste it!!! :-) x

      Delete
  7. Ha ha Laura! Your cake actually looks really nice! I'm sure the tangerine juice can't have made that much difference either? I have had many kitchen failures in my time. I generally blame the oven (it's a gas oven and sometimes it just doesn't work to published cooking times. At all. I actually managed to turn the bottom third of my child's chocolate birthday cake to charcoal - seriously I could have set up stall and sold it for fire-lighting! Good effort at any rate :-) Thanks for linking to #thetruthabout Xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha! Well I think your cake looks lovely huni.... shame I am on a diet and can't try some.... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He,he! Trust me you are safer on the diet than eating this little beauty!!! :-) x

      Delete
  9. I would have done the same and substituted plain flour and baking powder and light muscovado sugar. I'm surprised it made a huge difference to the cake. At least Baba had fun :) I made a cake once that was so bad I put it out on the bird table, even the birds wouldn't eat it!

    #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine! So I wasn't completely disillusioned to substitute the ingredients?!!
      x

      Delete
  10. Ha ha, but the kids never notice, do they? I've had some cookies that basically just crumbled when I got them out, but the kids were happy eating all the bits up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're completely right...I think my daughter just enjoyed the whole process! x

      Delete
  11. This really made me smile. At least she enjoyed it and seems to have had lots of fun making it too. I'd love you to come and share this on my #LittleChefs linky, which opens every Thursday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thank you for the invite...I've already joined up! x

      Delete
  12. So sorry about your cake! It looks lovely though. At least you got to spend time with your daughter :) That's always a bright side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria...Yep always look on the bright side! :-) x

      Delete
  13. Brilliant! You bake like me. I often improvise when I don't have the right ingredients with varying results!! My worst baking disaster also involved s carrot cake. The moisture was so moist that even though I left it in the oven for about an extra half an hour it was still liquid in the centre. The problem was I was baking it for my baby shower that day. I was so determined to have some that I cut the edges into pieces and said it was a tray bake. I can confirm that slightly dodgy carrot cake does not give you food poisoning ;) #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he,he! and glad to hear it didn't give you food poisoning! Good improvisation x

      Delete
  14. Ahh we have ALL been there when cake happens to good people you just have to make a different one to make up for it. The kids love the practice. haha Although from t he sounds of it she didn't mind. Kids love any cake. I burned one once and it was awful and sadly everyone ate it all gone... lol haha Good luck on the next one. Thanks for linking up to Share With Me. Sorry if you had any trouble commenting on my site today as the host is being transferred there are a few glitches to fix. Apologies. #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for such a fab linky as always Jenny and will be planning my next cake bake more carefully!! x

      Delete
  15. I've burnt a lot of pyrex dishes making rice pudding, baking rhubabrb etc. The Aga is a nightmare because you can't smell the item cooking til you open the doors, and with a dodgy temperature it's hard to know how to bake in it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have an Aga to blame :-)
      Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  16. Ha haaa this is awesome - teally made me giggle!! What it may have lacked in taste it made up for in effort and imagination!! Such cute pics too! Mim :) #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haha, brilliant. I'm guilty of improvising sometimes and it never ends well! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep don't think improvisation is my strong point! x

      Delete
  18. Its the thought that counts =P #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete