Thursday, 1 January 2015

Why you don't need a new you this new year

Happy New Year 2015!!! I feel I might be going a little against the grain with today's blog post.  I have a feeling this blog is going to be against a tirade of others with tips for a healthy and happier new year and new you. Maybe I am still in a state of mild fever, or maybe not.  But whichever way, I am writing today about how the new year doesn't and shouldn't mean a completely new you.


And its everywhere at the moment: New Year, New You. There's the latest juicers, blenders, yoga equipment and DVDs which promise us we will lose 50lbs in 50 minutes.  You need to be fitter, slimmer, happier and younger looking in 2015.  Out with the old and in with the new. Now I'm all up for self improvement, don't get me wrong. But, if I see another celebrity parading their newly acquired abs in my face, I may just have to go and stick my head in the Roses barrel and not emerge for a good week.  I mean, abs, really? The week after Christmas? At least give it a few weeks to give us mere mortals the chance to shift the extra layer of fat, that is of course essential for survival of the UK winter. 

I think its great to be healthy, be fit, do more and set goals...but there is that small matter of also being happy too.  And alot of that starts with loving yourself.  What if you don't need a brand new you at all for the new year? What if you are pretty gorgeous and amazing just as you are? What if all you actually need is a bit of a tweak here and there? (I mean, no offence, I think we could all benefit with little tweaks here and there...whilst you are amazing, no-ones perfect :-) ). 

This vision of a slimmer, fitter, better dressed version of ourselves is great and all that.  But its also kind of misleading. It makes us aspire to this goal, that, well, it doesn't really exist. Life isn't perfect, and neither are we.  And somewhere along the line, you have to accept and love that person staring back at you in the mirror. 

I really wish we could all see ourselves through the eyes of others. I bet you a million pounds someone thinks your are the funniest, the brainiest, have the best hair or the best legs.  I have a lovely group of friends, and one of the girls has the most amazing body. She is like a little mean machine with sculpted arms and a stomach to skip the biscuit barrel for. But can she see it? No, no she can't. She instead, envies my other friends lovely long legs.  And can that friend see she has lovely long legs? No, no she can't.  She is too busy moaning about her hair and wanting to swap it for mine. And can I see how she sees my hair? Nope. I see a bird's nest or focus on my very dark roots when I look in the mirror.  Other people seem to see past our flaws and just see all the other lovely bits.  Why can't we see that ourselves?

So, if you are planning a run tonight. Go for it.  If you are planning on getting into that Yogi trance and standing like a tree later, then good on you (and good luck).  But as well as prancing round your front room to whichever celebrity DVD you have bought (you didn't really fall for the 50lbs in 50 minutes did you?), try and love yourself that little bit more in 2015 too.  You really don't need a completely new you this year.  Make whatever little changes you want to.  Have your resolutions, but then don't beat yourself up about things.  Life really is too short.  And you are pretty damn great and amazing. Just as you are. 


"Maybe the reason nothing seems to be "fixing you" is because you're not broken. Let today be the day you stop living within the confines of how others define or judge you. You have a unique beauty and purpose; live accordingly", Dr Steve Maraboli. 







post signature
And then the fun began...

Super Busy Mum
Brilliant blog posts on HonestMum.com

28 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! All these New Years Resolutions are great, but you were loved in the preceding year as you are now so there's no need to change the very essence of your being. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed! I don't like the "new year, new me" sayings. sure I could drink more water, maybe put a bit more makeup on and be a little more happier and positive but I like "ME", I like who I am and I'm not going to be try and be a new me... just a better me... a healthier me I hope haha

    Happy new year Laura!

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post so much and those powerful words particularly, 'you are not broken'. So important and something we should carry with us to 2015, thanks for the reminder, beautiful post x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abs like slabs - love it! Haven't heard that before (and certainly haven't seen any under my woolly jumper!). I would love your hair too, but I agree, we should be happy with who we are and just seek to fine-tune ourselves. Happy new year!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you!!! And not quite sure where I picked up abs like slabs from...possibly TOWIE!!!
      x

      Delete
  5. 'New Year, New You' is just a marketing slogan. Unfortunately we, as women, are particularly susceptible to it which is why the keep fit and beauty industries are worth millions of pounds!! I had a conversation with my sister the other day where I told her that I believed that she got all the 'good' genes and is the attractive one but she turned straight round and said that no actually, she'd always believed that *I* was the goodlooking one with the great figure! It's so true how we tend to focus on our negatives and not our positives. We should definitely stop doing that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So so true. If only we could sometimes see what other people see. Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  6. Lovely post - definitely agree that learning to be happy in our own skin is a very good thing to do in the new year. It's so easy to focus on the negatives and not see our good points. Happy New Year and hope 2015 will be a good year for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Louise and wishing you a very happy new year too x

      Delete
  7. Oh so true! I am always exhausted just looking at those people who insist on a new start every blooming January - diet after diet, one gym membership to the next, etc. etc. There really has to be a day when you can just accept that you will never be younger or more beautiful than you are just at this very moment in time. Happy New Year and thanks for coming back to link up with #thetruthabout!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome! Happy new year x

      Delete
  8. I love this!!! My resolution was to just be me and relax a bit more. I couldn't agree more with this. Goals are great, but stressing yourself out of them is a waste!

    #thetruthabout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and totally agree. Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  9. I totally agree. My resolution was not to make any resolutions. Perhaps that's where we all go wrong. So I don't resolve to be skinnier, healthier and richer maybe it will just happen anyway ;) #thetruthabout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alison and wishing you a very happy new year! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment x

      Delete
  10. Laura this is hands down my favourite New Year's post. Such a lovely way to put it, and I really love that quote too. None of us are very good at appreciating what we've already got are we? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely lovely comment. Thank you...that means alot. x

      Delete
  11. Here, here! Couldn't agree - great post! Am visiting for the first time via #brilliantblogposts and look forward to reading more from you in 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment! Thank you so much!! x

      Delete
  12. A nice and inspiring read! A bit different too and yet so true =) #mmwbh

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as I want to get to my goal weight I started this in the middle of last year, so it was something I wanted to achieve for me and not for a new years goal. I have tried to make resolutions that will benefit the family rather than changing anything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your resolutions and thank you so much for reading x

      Delete
  14. Just the pick me up I needed. I wish I could stop being so self critical of myself but it's so very hard sometimes xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww glad you liked it. I think we are all over critical of ourselves sometimes and we have to remember we are good enough, just as we are x

      Delete