Saturday, 21 February 2015

First day at Pre-School

On Wednesday afternoon I took my little baby to pre-school for the very first time.  My little baby who is actually nearly three.  Normally, I have some funny incident or observation to blog, but as we both made our way from the car to pre-school my heart felt very full. Surprisingly, I didn't feel sad. I felt so immensely proud of this amazing little person stood next to me and swinging her Frozen bag and marching to the pre-school gates (I had tried to coax her towards choosing another bag seeing as though all 20 pre-school children will probably have the same, but never mind).

She settled really well, and as I returned to an empty house, I thought I might shed a tear. But I didn't. I had only that morning finished reading Gretchen Rubin's Happier At Home.  Her closing chapter is on the passage of time and how we always tend to assume that in the future we will be happier, when in fact when we look back through the years, we yearn for those moments past. Here and right now are the happy days.  So, with that in mind, I didn't mourn for my little baby.  I didn't feel sad about the long days past that I used to sit feeding her (OK, maybe I did a little bit). I instead tried to focus on how my little girl has grown into the most wonderful little girl. I hope this day stays in my memory forever.  Of us holding hands.  Of our nervous excitement as we entered the doors.  

As I collected her and she showed me her painting that she had done, my heart was full again.  I want to keep this day with me. Of how proud I felt.  Of how she is truly amazing.  And of how the love I have for her is indescribable.



I feel whilst there may be blog posts to come about our adventures and more likely mis-adventures in pre-school land, today I wanted to capture what I felt for my wonderful daughter.  We returned home and my daughter danced round with her pants on her head to Frozen.  The perfect day.  

"Do not look back and grieve over the past, for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering”, 
Ida Scott Taylor. 



30 comments:

  1. Oh Laura that is such a lovely post. Well done you for being strong and seeing the positives of your little one starting pre-school, it's the beginning of such wonderful adventures isn't it xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is beautiful and I adore that picture of her in the doorway, made me a bit emotional! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you..that's really kind. I love that photo! x

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous post Laura, and I absolutely love that quote at the end. I agree that constantly wishing our lives away is a bad thing to do, although sadly counting down to school holidays is inevitable... Hope she's settling in well hon, my 3yo started this week too xx #SWM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she is settling in really well thank you.
      Good luck with your little one too! Its such an exciting time x

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post, I love your thought process on this. If only I had this to read in September when my little lady started school for the first time I might have enjoyed it a bit more x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post. Your daughter's painting is fab! My little girl has just started nursery aged 2 and half, I must confess I felt very weepy! Mainly because I was SO proud of her but a little bit because my baby isn't really a baby anymore. It's a funny mixture :-)
    x Char
    http://charlotteskitchenblog.blogspot.co.uk/
    #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a funny mixture isn't it and such an exciting time for them too. Thanks for reading x

      Delete
  6. I ADORE this post huni! I need to remember this as I am so torn about Baby starting preschool. Have share on my FB and Twitter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really kind of you. Thank you so much x

      Delete
  7. Lovely post. My little 3 year old is at preschool this morning. I miss her but she is having so much fun and I can have some adult brain time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arrr bless. My twins have just turned 3 and are due to start nursery after Easter. They are looking forward to it but I am dreading it! This is a lovely post x #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww don't dread it! My daughter has been fine and previous to this I had only left her a handful of times. Good luck and thanks for reading x

      Delete
  9. Ahhh love your new blog look darling. It's great. What a lovely first day and it's always the start to a fast life when they start school. It's going to fly by now. Buba starts school in september and I can't believe it. MM will be in preschool next year right behind him and it all seems to be a blur now. lol Thank you so much for linking up to Share With Me #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny!
      And yes, it is such an exciting time. x

      Delete
  10. Aw, how wonderful that she settled straight in. That first day/afternoon is always such a stressful moment - we experienced it with all three of ours, both on their first days at nursery/preschool and, in the case of the oldest two, their first days at school too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was so proud of how she took it in her stride.
      Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  11. Nice post and great that she (and you!) were not phased about what is a pretty big change! Hope that she continues to enjoy it and you avoid the mishaps you reckon will happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me remember our first day. Mine was full with tears and a then still baby at 3 wont let me go. I should've given him that lunch bag. This is a nice read =) #sharewithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep must be the lunch bag :-)
      Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  13. Such a moving post sweetie, the next, wonderful chapter x

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely post, hun! You are so right: we have to enjoy the present. I bet she was really proud, walking with her Frozen bag in hand. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. You should really be proud of your baby girl, Laura! She settled well, and didn’t even fuss about this event. And you should be proud of yourself too, for not shedding a tear. Heh. I guess this year will be quite different for both you – what with her going to school. Such a bittersweet moment for parents, eh? Well, I’m sure both of you will be fine. I wish her all the best in her study. Here’s to more years of learning!

    Beatrice Foster @ Crayon College

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a lovely comment Beatrice x

      Delete