Monday, 2 February 2015

Twitteritis

I think I may have lost my mind. Well, OK. That might be being a little over dramatic. But I have certainly crossed over into the realms of over-thinking. I blame social media. Bloody social media. I my friends, have Twitteritis. 

I am very new to twitter, six months new to be precise, and already I have been inflicted with this paralysing condition. I never have a tweet to tweet. I have my own little mental checklist.  Is my tweet going to be funny? (I don't think I've ever tweeted something funny for the record). Is my tweet boastful? (No-one likes a boaster). Is my tweet interesting? (No, not particularly). Hmmmm, back to the drawing board.  Oh wait, I've got one. I think I have a good tweet. Yep, this is a good one.  Oh no, wait.  One of the 783 people I follow has just tweeted something similar. Bugger. And herein lies my problem.  By the time I have gone through my checklist, I have lost the will to tweet. 

I often see people tweeting where they are off to. And if you are jetting off to the Maldives that appears to be a good tweet. I'm not by the way. Jetting off to the Maldives that is. My location tweets appear to centre around going to playgroup, and then I wonder if any of my followers would care if I am going to playgroup, it's not that exotic.  On a good day there might be a juice spillage at snack time, or that time a shoe went missing. Exactly. ARGH. 

But don't think my over-thinking is focused solely on my twitter life. Oh no, I can go a few days without Instagramming too, blinded by my Instagramitis. Does the picture look right? Who wants to see a picture of the Lego house I built anyway?(It was pretty good to be fair).  What does this picture say about me? Well, the pink potty photo sorta screamed potty training whilst the picture of my daughters lunch actually read that I should be trying to regain control of the toddler that's riding the dog around the house instead of rearranging her food on a plate to snap. (For the record I do have control of my daughter 96% of the time).  And don't get me started on what filter to use.   

And that's the thing with over-thinking.  Once you start, you can't actually start the thing you are over-thinking because you are too busy thinking about it. For all its fabness, social media is loaded with the demons of comparing yourself to others, thinking what you have got to offer might not be up to par, and that annoying gremlin called self-doubt. 

But I say sod it.  Because quite frankly, life's too bloody short. I'm going to rid myself of Twitteritis and Instagramitis. I'm going to tweet and snap to my hearts content about what I'm actually doing (I'm in the middle of painting an elephant if you're interested). I want my social media to reflect me and my daily life.  Not trying to keep up with her in the Maldives.  OK, I may not be lying on a beach with an elephant hosing me down, but being me right here and right now, is actually pretty amazing. I guess it all comes down to just being yourself. 

Happy Monday everyone and as always, thanks for reading. 



“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken", 

Oscar Wilde.







post signature
And then the fun began...

18 comments:

  1. Fabulous huni! I hope you get better soon! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always write super original posts! I don't tend to think tooooo much about what I write on my 'blogging' accounts on social media, as long as they fall into the realms of my blogging paramter it's all good. LOL at checking in at soft plays. If I did that - my check in section would make for veeeeerrrry dull reading. We have season passes to the local soft play so we are there A LOT. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean Laura!! I'm totally the same and consequently I rarely tweet. I forget about Instagram for days on end too but I do prefer Instagram. I guess with IG I try and only post out pics that I would like to look back over myself like a little pictorial journal I can revisit - an online photo album which may or may not be of interest to others! Twitter seems to be used by some as some kind of stream of consciousness and I just can't keep up! I think you've got it right though, post what interests you, what is important to you and who cares about everyone else! (Plus - I'd say tweeting out a post that your off to the Maldives is *definitely* boasting :-) ) Thanks for linking up! Xx
    #thetruthabout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sam and I am glad I am not alone! x

      Delete
  4. Life is too short to worry about what everyone else is doing! You do you!

    Great post!

    - Gillian x
    http://theselittlelights.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, very true!
      Thanks for reading and commenting x

      Delete
  5. I do love that Oscar Wilde quote - it's one of my favourites. Having been an early adopter of Twitter (late 2008, I think) I think you just have to go with whatever you feel comfortable with. You certainly shouldn't feel the need to tweet just because you haven't done so for a few hours - there are too many people out there who seem to think that it's important that I should know they're going to bed at night. I tend to be all over the place - sometimes I can easily go a couple of days without tweeting, whereas on other days I'll fire out 30 tweets (half of them usually with silly Instagrams of the kids, hey, look, two birds with one stone!) But don't ever let anyone influence what or how often you tweet. (Rant over.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good advice and I completely agree!

      Delete
  6. Ah yes, it is a condition I am familiar with. I have given up on being funny and just try not to be too boring. haha #thetruthabout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not alone! Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment x

      Delete
  7. I haven't yet joined the ranks of Twitter but I will. I've been seriously contemplating over the last few days if I have enough room in my laugh to add something else right now. Thanks for letting me know about Twitteritis, it sounds like no fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it Jenny! For all my twitteritis it is fun and such a quick and easy way to connect with so many other people! x
      Thank you for reading x

      Delete
  8. Holy moly Laura my head hurts just thinking about all that! I hope you do manage to start caring less, because life really is too short xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, you are right! Life really is too short! x

      Delete
  9. Bless you. Honestly, just relax and definitely DON'T over-think it. Do what feels comfortable to you and what ties in with your personality. I mostly use Twitter to shout out my blog posts, and see the word-limit as a literary challenge to be as creative and concise as possible. I like to shout out about other people's blogs or other companies I like. I use it to connect with people in an open environment. I almost never use Twitter to tell people when I'm having a cr*p, let alone when my kids are. That's just me. I have fun with it, and I enjoy it. If I haven't had anything to Tweet about - no sweat. I simply don't tweet! xx

    #TheTruthAbout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tips Fiona and completely agree that there is certain information other people don't need to read about!!! Thanks for reading and taking the time to comment x

      Delete