Wednesday, 12 August 2015

5 things I'm going to do differently in labour (I hope)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing isn't it? Remember that time I used a swim nappy as a nappy? Or let my daughter play near that really huge puddle as I was letting her be 'free'? Exactly.  Now I'm 26 weeks pregnant with baby number two, I've started to recall little things that happened during my first labour that I'd prefer not to have a repeat of. 



Having fun...in labour :-)

1. Judging myself
Before giving birth I had it in my head that I was going to have a very natural water birth.  I wanted as little intervention as possible and would be happy just using my little TENS machine.  Hmmmm.  After a very long first stage of labour, and only progressing 4cm in 20 hours, I wanted NEEDED an epidural!!! But, before I had one, I cried to my husband that I felt like a failure and that I was letting the baby down (whaaaat?!!!). This time round, as long as me and baby are OK I couldn't give a monkeys if I need pain relief or not.  Labour and birth are so individual, and whatever choice you make is the right one for you. Labour is not a competition as to who can be the quietest/most tranquil/most natural ladies!

2. A Fainting episode
After I had delivered my daughter I was pretty exhausted and not quite with it.  After a few hours, the midwife encouraged my husband to wheel me into the bathroom so I could have a warm shower.  'Don't have the water on too hot', she warned, 'and don't stand up for too long either'. So what did I do? I whacked the water to really warm/hot as it felt so nice, then I couldn't be bothered to move for at least 10 minutes.  

I then realised I was going to faint and called my husband back in the bathroom.  He opened the door to find me lying face down on the floor, butt naked muttering that I didn't feel too good. I didn't care I was on the floor, or naked for that matter, I just felt really faint. Luckily my husband managed to get me back in bed before the midwife returned. 

3.  Wondering where to put the cot
I had to stay on the maternity ward for nearly a week following my daughter's birth due to complications, and this time gave me plenty of opportunity to panic.  One such thing I constantly panicked over were these signs they had everywhere saying 'never leave your baby unattended or out of sight'.  I was in a side room and pondered if this meant I had to take her into the toilet with me...and what about when I had a shower? 

Let's just say whilst doing the ward round the whole doctors and nurses procession almost walked in on me having a shower with the door wide open and my daughter in her cot rammed up against the shower curtain so I could see her.  Awkward. This time round, I'm timing nay showers when my husband is there or when it isn't the ward round. 

4. Taking a razor
It was a bit of an oversight that I forgot to pack a razor, and to be honest I didn't think I would be in hospital that long.  Let's just say that by day three I think my daughter may well have mistaken me for a chimpanzee, and I hastily sent my husband to buy a razor from Boots. Yes I was tired, exhausted and really couldn't be bothered.  But I felt like an extra for Planet of the Apes. 

5. Being scared
I think alot of the fear of labour comes from not knowing what's happening and how you will cope with the pain.  But, I've done it once and it was OK.  I mean, obviously it hurt, but like the millions of women before me I got through it.  I hope I remember this in the throes of labour, and I try and focus on the most amazing moment in my entire life, when you see your baby for the very first time. 

So that's my list, and will I stick to it? Probably not. But at least we can all have a giggle when my well laid plans go to pot and I tell you about my second labour!!

Is there anything you vowed to do differently or wanted to change for your second labour? 

Thanks for reading, 






12 comments:

  1. Ahhh, your shower / ward round story made me laugh! I also used to panic about what to do when I needed the loo (was also in for a week) and would do a mad dash, convinced it was my baby's screams I could hear... sometimes it was, usually it wasn't! Nobody should beat themselves up about pain relief, it's there for a reason. You don't hear anyone saying they're off for knee surgery but are doing it the natural way do you! There is definitely unnecessary pressure around childbirth - aren't we already doing enough?! Hopefully you won't be in for long this time, but at least you know you're fully prepared for anything - razor an' all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes, will definitely be packing the trusty razor this time round!!

      Delete
  2. Oh no, I was extremely exhausted after birth and I think I would've definitely flaked in a hot shower! See, I think I'm more scared for labour the second time round because now I know how much it hurts, haha. #brillblogposts

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is great! I wanted a natural water birth too and ended up on the operating table with an epidural. I know for next time that this doesn't make me less of a 'mum' but at the time I felt like huge failure. I also worried about leaving my daughter and while I timed my showers with my husbands visits, I took Emma in to the toilet and laid her on a blanket on the floor. Turns out, it as actually totally ok to leave her in my room while I visited the loo but like you I was a nervous wreck :) #BrillantBlogPosts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! Hopefully I will be a bit more relaxed this time round!

      Delete
  4. I was in for 5 days too and remember thinking it was like some weird twilight zone full of women pushing babies around with them in little glass cots. I left mine on the ward while I nipped to the loo and was then worried that everyone must be thinking I was some sort of monster for not taking him with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I can totally relate to the twilight zone feeling! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  5. Oh this is so great! I ended up staying a week and your razor story made me laugh as I had to send my hubby out on all kinds of errands :D #brilliantblogposts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me then! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Yes, I think a second labour must be so different just because the fear is reduced. It's all so unknown and hard to imagine the first time round, but this time you already have plenty of experience! Haha about the shower too, so funny! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm certainly hoping there will be no more lying in the shower episodes!! Thanks for reading!

      Delete