Wednesday, 21 October 2015

Our Nursery

Our nursery for baby number two is finally complete and I am so excited to share it with you all! I love Pinterest as much as the next person, so during my second trimester I became I tad obsessed trawling through hundreds of images for nursery decor and inspiration.  It's always a bit too easy to get carried away, and as usual I had some pretty wild ideas, which luckily, we didn't end up going with!   

As we don't know if we are having a little boy or little girl, the theme and colour had to be quite neutral and hopefully fit with the furnishings we already had in the room from my daughter who now has her own room across the hallway. 

I really liked the idea of having plain walls with one feature wall by the cot, and then we came up with the idea of little white stars 'hanging' from the ceiling.  

After lots of research, I found some self-adhesive stars that we liked, but the price was about £100-£150 to re-create the pattern and style we wanted, so, we decided to do a spot of DIY and make the feature wall ourselves for much less money. 

The colour we picked for the main wall is actually colour matched to the wallpaper that was on the wall previously.  It's a lovely creamy beige colour, and it's not only neutral, but also matches the curtains and light shade that are already in the room. 

After we had painted the feature wall, the tricky part was painting very thin lines that the stars would 'hang' from. Luckily, my husband has a much better eye for straight lines than me, and he used two lines of masking tape to create a very thin line inbetween that we could then paint.  


We painted 19 of these very thin lines, and we did them of varying lengths and also varying spaces, just so it didn't look too uniform. We applied three very thin coats of white paint and once dry, we removed the masking tape to reveal the lines which the stars would 'hang' from. 


We then carefully applied different sized self-adhesive stars to the bottom of each of the lines.  Again, there was no pattern or order, we just applied the stars randomly.  We used three different size of stars. 

I am so pleased with the end result, and love the effect of the stars almost 'falling' down to the ground. 




As the lines are so so thin, you really can't tell that they are painted and the stars are stuck on, it actually looks like the stars and lines are attached to one another.  We bought the stars really cheaply from Ebay, and I think they only cost about £5 in total. 

The rest of the room is quite plain really, but I think because of the feature wall, it all comes together nicely. 

Our nursery furniture is from Mothercare. 





I know baby won't be in the nursery for some time yet, but I have really enjoyed getting a space ready for him or her. 

I love to sit in the nursery and it's a really relaxing and calm space. I have very fond memories of sitting in this room and feeding my daughter from the very same comfy settee.  
We can't wait to meet you Baby Bee! x

For more nursery inspiration, you might like to take a look at our DIY safari themed room we recently completed too. 

Thanks for reading, 


post signature

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! What a gorgeous room....Those stars look so good! Well done x

    ReplyDelete