Saturday, 10 September 2016

Pretend Play

Pretend play isn't just for toddlers.  Sometimes as adults we fall into playing out a particular scene, because, well, sometimes going along with a lie is alot easier than explaining the truth. 

Maybe you have no idea what I'm talking about, and if that is the case, lucky you.  I, on the other hand, seem to find myself in strange situations, all of the time.  Let me explain. 

Today, I popped to Marks & Spencer with LL to get some food for dinner.  I needed a trolley as trying to carry LL and actually getting any shopping done I have learnt from past experience is just asking for trouble.  Having located a trolley with a child seat in, I found that the trolley already had someone's coin token in so I didn't need to put in a pound.  Great, I thought, I'll be taking that coin token later too. 

I did my shopping and loaded it into the car and then took the trolley back with LL.  As I had my hands full, it was a little tricky trying to get the token out.  As I was trying to do this, a lovely elderly couple came up to me and asked if I needed help.  Before I knew it, the woman was trying to get the token out for me.  Then the man was.  At this point, I probably should have confessed that the token was already in there so it really didn't matter, but for some reason, these words didn't escape my mouth.  Try as they might to release the token, it was not budging.  It then gets worse, someone else saw us struggling, and came over to try and get the token out. 

As the situation escalated and all three of them were trying to remove the token (that wasn't even mine) I told them not to worry.  I said I'd go inside to ask a member of staff to help me instead.  I quickly wandered inside with absolutely no intention whatsoever of asking someone to help me.  My plan was to do a quick walk around the frozen fish aisle and dive back into my car.  But, inside I saw all three lovely people who had been trying to help me.  

I then decided the best course of action (because I'm full of great ideas) would be to pretend my phone was ringing and act like it was an important call that needed to be taken outside.  Cue me looking concerned while walking swiftly to my car.  The shame. 

A quick pop to the shops suddenly ended with a mock phone call and Oscar winning acting skills.  I'd like to take this moment to apologise to the three lovely people who tried to help me.  I am a fraud. 

And the problem is, I have plenty more stories where this came from. These kind of situations just always seem to find me.  I would love to hear if you have ever done anything similar? Have you ever lied or pretended in public? Or is it just me? 

Have a great Saturday. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!