Sunday, 11 September 2016

The first week of school

We've done it, we have survived Bee's very first week of school.  I say we've done it because I think it has been a bit of a joint effort.  As a family we have had to get used to new routines and making sure we're out the door on time, fed, clean and dressed (with all of the right PE kit and books).  And it's gone OK, it really has.  

The first few days were a bit of a novelty for us all really.  The excitement of a new school, Bee had her brand new uniform to put on, new friends to meet and make. As the days have gone by, I can see she is getting a bit more tired in the mornings (we had to wake her up on Thursday which we never usually do), and there has been two mornings where she has been a bit reluctant to go into the school gates.  

I don't blame her to be fair.  As brilliant and exciting as school is, it's alot for her to take in and process.  She has to get used to the school day and going every single day Monday to Friday too, not to mention actually concentrating and learning. 

But she's doing OK and I'm so proud of her.

I don't know if it's silly to say or if it's in my imagination, but sometimes I look at her when she comes home and I see something different.  Something I can't quite put my finger on.  She seems that bit older than she did last week.  Although she's still my baby, I feel almost like she taken a baby step away from me, that she is growing and changing without me doing anything at all.  

I love hearing her edited version of the days events, which usually centres around what she has eaten for lunch.  But other snippets are coming through. She has been telling me about diagraphs (nope, not really any idea either), and space rockets and making sounds for the letters of the alphabet in a slightly different way than how I have taught her.  

Every night we look at her school reading book and I feel just as excited as her.  I really hope that never wears off.  I'd sort of prepared myself for the almost sad feelings of Bee's first day of school, and I hadn't really thought of much else.  After that initial sadness really comes pride and excitement and just wonder that this little person is learning oh so much.  

We have survived the very first week of school and now I feel our learning curve has only really just begun as we begin the daily Monday to Friday school term.  I'm looking forward to things settling down a bit and finding our own rhythm.  I'm officially a school mum! 



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!